Lethargic and bullied RIR hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by camper82, Aug 23, 2016.

1. camper82

camper82 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Hi, I have a RIR hen who I think is dying but have no idea why. She is the smallest of the flock and has less quality feathers. They are about 1.5 years old. Her eggs generally have calcium deposits and no one else's do. Lately her eggs have all floated when I clean them, so they are not good. She is being bullied by my 2 roos. They pin her down and peck and stand on her. They are not breeding her, just picking on her. Last night she tried to fly up to the roost but couldn't make it up so slept on the floor in the coop. I honestly thought she might be dead when I went out today but she is still laying around on the floor. She has eaten and drank water. Has no respiratory trouble that I can see. I have no idea?!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you haven't done so, separate her so she can have relief from the 2roosters beating up on her.

Check her over for any wounds, cuts or infection. Poor quality feathers could be from overmating or not having enough protein in her diet.
    Poor egg quality can be from stress, overcrowding, nutritional deficiencies or disease.

What do the inside of the eggs look like?

Offer her some vitamins in her drinking water and feed her normal feed - add some protein like scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  3. camper82

camper82 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Last night she slept in a nesting box and today is sitting on 3 eggs. I guess she was just going broody. (???). Do they normally pick on broody hens? I have one EE and one Cream Reese Legbar.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It's possible they could pick on her if she's broody. Anything that makes her look "different" - fluffed up, clucking, acting a bit weird - that could get roosters riled up.
    Part of their job is to eliminate what is viewed as weak members of the flock - so they could have seen her as a threat.

I would keep a close eye on her and make sure she is eating and drinking.

How may hens total do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by