Lethargic and feverish hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KarenKS, Feb 24, 2015.

1. KarenKS

KarenKS New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    I have a almost 1 year old hen who is lethargic and fevered, not interested in food or water, but her color is fine. She has diarrhea on her butt, but I checked her and she does not seem to be egg bound.

Yesterday I noticed she did not come for feed with everyone else, she was in the nest box though so I figured she was just laying, that night she was still in the nest box, I thought maybe she was getting broody. This morning she came out with everyone when I opened up the coop, When I checked on the chickens at noon she was sleeping in an odd place, but I did not have time to do a complete physical, and when I went to lock them in at 6ish she was still in the same spot. At that point I picked her up and could feel how hot she is, she is also not limp, but loose feeling, did not struggle at all when I examined her, including lubing up a finger and feeling for an egg.

I have her separated with antibiotics in her water. Any other diagnostics I can do? I am a large animal vet tech, but do not have any experience with sick chickens!

Thanks, Karen

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Since you suspect that she's not eggbound; inspect her closely for lice/mites, and worm her. I recommend valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer, 1/2cc orally undiluted and repeat again in 10 days.

3. KarenKS

KarenKS New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    She does not look like she has mites or lice. She won't even swallow water this morning so I don't think I can get dewormer into her. She is much worse today can not walk breathing heavily , her Combe is turning a dark purplish color and unwilling to swallow. Don't think she is going to pull through. I gave her a warm bath which she seemed to like and got all the poop off her butt, but she has not pooped again at all. When I pried her beak open to try and syringe antibiotic water into her she had stringy mucus in her mouth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by