1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic and one eye shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CaptainCtza, Aug 18, 2016.

1. CaptainCtza

CaptainCtza Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Scotland
    Hello! This is Robin
    I'm new to BackYard Chickens community and also new to chickens as well.
    I have bought 25 broiler chicks like a month ago. And I kept them in my apartment for the past 3-and-half weeks. Then I have moved them to the roof which is a bit colder as they made the home here quite smelly. Today, I've noticed that one of them is become very lethargic and one of her eyes is completely shut. I'm always having antibiotics put properly in water. How should I treat her? Should I take her away from the other chickens? Have the room temperature nothing to do with that? (They are completely feathered)

2. CaptainCtza

CaptainCtza Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Scotland
    Nobody is giving me attention tho

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

How large of a space are you housing them in?
    What type of feed do you give?
    What antibiotics are you always having in their water?
    Can you post some photos?
    Is she eating/drinking?

It could be a number of things.

If she is fluffed up, lethargic and weak then it could be cocci.
    Do you have any Corid?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    3 week olds probably need a little supplemental heat. Most chicks are not completely feathered until 6 weeks old. Do you mean that you have had them on antibiotics in their water already? Have you seen any signs of pecking around the chick's eye? Does she have any nasal or eye drainage? If you think the swelling is from being pecked, you can clean the eye with saline or water, and apply some plain antibiotic ointment twice daily. If it seems like a possible respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma or coryza, then I would treat with some oxytetracycline, Denagard, or tylosin. A vet would have better drugs, but a feed store may have the others available for other farm animals. Let us know if you require dosages. Here is a good link to read:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/

5. Dozer533

Dozer533 New Egg

Oct 7, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG]

6 month old hen attacked by roosters and left to dye. This is one of my hens and how she got out I haven't figured out yet but its top priority! This picture is from yesterday. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about chickens and concussions? Her pupils keep dilating and she gets spooked randomly with out any movement. Would it be better if she remains in the dark for a couple of days or shall I allow her natural light? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. Dozer533

Dozer533 New Egg

Oct 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by