lethargic and unresponsive pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bucolic beauty, Jul 14, 2011.

1. bucolic beauty

bucolic beauty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    My four month old Easter Egger pullet has been sitting still, lethargic and unresponsive since this morning. I've checked her all over for any sort of injuries but didn't find any. I haven't seen her stool(I don't have her quarantined)so I can't tell you what her that looks like. Her eyes are bright and alert and she drinks water when I dip her beak in the water dish. Along with the lethargy, her breathing seems to be a bit louder than normal and her feathers look a little ruffled. I don't think it's the heat as it's only 73 degrees. Any ideas on what could be wrong with her? Thank you in advance!

2. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Is she hurt? My Montana was doing the same thing and I thought she was sick but it turned out both of her legs were hurt from what we think was a fall off her roost and banging them on the roost below. She has a bright green bruise on her left leg, above her knee and her right knee is swollen and red. Maybe push feathers away and look at her skin. I didn't see the bruise until last night and she has been in the Chicken ER since Monday.

GOOD LUCK!!

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Maybe an egg issue since she is just reaching that age?

4. bucolic beauty

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    sadies chicks - I did check her all over and even examined her feet and legs in case her reason for sitting still was bumblefoot but found nothing out of the ordinary. I'll go ahead and do another thorough exam just in case I missed something.
    citychickxs6 - I suppose she could be eggbound but she doesn't appear to be straining, at least not that I've noticed...

5. bucolic beauty

Mar 16, 2011
    Drain, OR
    Quote:Oh, and I hope she feels better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by