lethargic and yellow runny poo after being lost

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ErinFitz, Mar 7, 2014.

1. ErinFitz

ErinFitz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    Sydney
    [​IMG]One of our chooks Was lost for 24 hours and mysteriously showed up just standing there (her wings are clipped from the previous owner so it's really strange she just showed back up our fences are all 7 ft high) all of her tail feathers bar 2 plucked and with a look in her eyes just staring off into space and not moving just standing there. She had yellow runny poo all over her bum which stank (more than usual chook poo) and she didn't leave the coop today with out me taking her out and placing her in front of water which she is now drinking from. She seems lethargic, distant and it's worrying me, apart from the strange poop she doesn't seem injured. Is she in shock? Please help.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Yellow diarrhea is a symptom of Blackhead but that doesn't mean it can't represent other illnesses as well. That hunched pose is not typical of Blackhead in my experience. Is she possibly eggbound? Does she strain and pant?

3. ErinFitz

Nov 22, 2013
    Sydney

Before she went missing for 24 hours she was 100% healthy as are the other 6 chooks so I'm hoping that rules out sickness. She hasn't been panting or anything she just stands there which is weird for her so I've been sitting with her in a towel and she's content to close her eyes and snuggle with me, bless her.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Can you post a poop photo.

Check her over carefully for any wounds,look under feathers,etc. Give electrolytes for shock. Is she eating? The issue with chickens is that they do not deal well with any stress and who knows what she has gone through.

How is she able to get over a 7 ft fence with clipped wings or is there an opening that she is crawling under?

5. ErinFitz

Nov 22, 2013
    Sydney

My neighbour popped his head over the fence this morning to tell me he found her on his front door step and he put her back, so the mystery of how she got home is solved.

She has a raw tail where all her feathers were plucked but no cuts I still put some aloe off our alovera plant on her skin though.

My poor baby she's just been standing in one spot or sitting down (she has been drinking and eating when put in front of food and water) so I've been wrapping her in clean towl and just hugging her and she will trill and fall asleep so I'm hoping thats helping stress levels?

I haven't managed to get a photo yet, keeping an eye on her now and waiting.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by