1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic, antisocial, bloated, tummy ache.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Charisse, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Charisse

Charisse New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    My name sake chicken seemed to not herself today. I picked her up, noticed some poop on the back of her tail feathers by her vent. So I washed her up, massaged her belly, tried giving her an enema, and then checked to see if I could feel a lodged egg. Yes I stuck my finger in "there." I figured it was better than having her die. I must have worked on her off and on for an hour and then didn't know what else I could do. So i let her fall asleep in the bathtub because it was night fall. A stinky milky color fluid is coming out a little at a time and I think she may of passed gass a couple times? She was breathing hard, her eyes were shutting when I was working on making her feel better and her little tummy was warm to touch. She also seemed to know I was trying to help her because she was willing to lay on her side and let me do what I said in the above info. Any other ideas? I was thinking to let her sleep tonight and se what else I can do in the morning? She also seemed to try and bare down a couple time, but I can't feel an egg? my email is [email protected] if anyone finds this message and can answer me tonight. Thanks, Charisse

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I'm sorry about your girl. I have no experience with that, so I have no advice for you, but I hope she is better soon.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Charisse

Charisse New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    This morning she is still awake but there is blood in her stool. Maybe that is just from me looking for a lodged egg in her vent? I will look at the link eggcessive sent me. Thanks!

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you think she could have coccidosis? Symptoms are lethargy, puffing up, poor or no appetite, diarrhea (sometimes with blood,) ruffled feathers, and pale color. I would get some Corid (amprollium) liquid 2 tsp per gallon of water and give it for 5 days. The powder dosage is 1.5 tsp/gallon. After treatment give vitamins/probiotics in water for 1 week. Enteritis can also cause blood in the stool.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. Charisse

Charisse New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Thanks eggsesive, She is getting weaker and won't eat. Where do i get corid for coccidosis. And is it infectious to humans? I finally got the nystatin but I am not sure of the dosage. I am giving her one drop in a syringe of water twice a day.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Does her belly feel like it has fluid in it?

Kathy

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Nystatin dosage is 3 ml twice a day. It's listed in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/176569/whats-up-with-my-chickens-butts Corid is in most feed stores--it is a cattle medicine. The label should say Corid or Amprollium 20% liquid or powder. Does she still have any blood in the stool, and what does the stool look like? Are you convinced that she has coccidiosis, and not peritonitis or enteritis? Here's a link about enteritis: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by