Lethargic baby chick, what to do?

eggswithlegs11

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Hello! I recently bought 4 chickens recently, two commercial yellow chicks and two hybrid chicks (seem to be smaller). I have unfortunately have already lost one hybrid chick, and now I have noticed the other, bigger one, seems to be looking quite lethargic. I'm not too well versed in what to do with chicks, but I've given her some electrolytes in her water, she seems to be reasonably alright, and it is night time so I'm not sure if she is just tired or if she is actually sick. I'm mainly worried because the other hybrid got suddenly sick overnight and I don't want the same thing to happen.
Any suggestions? What further action should I take?
Thanks,

You need to have them in a brooder with heat lamp or plate. Keep thermometer in the brooder at chick height near the heat at all times. Keep the heat source on one side so there is a cool side and warm side. The chicks can seek warmth or cooling this way as they need it. First week temp should be 90-95. Wean by 5 degrees per week till at 70 degrees and feathered in usually takes about 4-5 weeks latest 6-8. Can put out in outdoor coop at this point if overnight temps not horribly low. Need water and food offered all night and day. Keep sav a chick electrolytes in water first 5 days then weekly and times of stress per package instructions. Should be on starter grower feed or starter feed that is 20% protein and medicated to avoid risk of coccidiosis. Should have gotten Mareks vaccine first day of life. Can you tell me if following these practices? Also use pine mulch in brooder easy to scoop out and clean their brooder.

Last edited:
I would put any sick chick in a separate brooder. This can be cardboard box, dog crate, bird cage etc. and quarantine with own food and water. Don't forget heat source here as well if still need one meaning has not weaned off yet. If below 4-5 weeks and not supplying these things need to do so now.

Last edited:
Another thought check vent area to see if poop on bottom. Chicks can plug their vent and possibly get sick enough to pass. This is called pasty butt. Wash bottom with water soaked paper towel till clean and apply Vaseline till successfully pooping and clearing vent on own. You may need to do this for first week of life. Mine needed this care for about three days then pooping without getting stuck on bottom.

How old are the chicks?
How do their poops look?
Are they warm enough, but not too warm...
What are they eating?

Do you have any nutridrench? A few drops to the beak might help. It gives them energy.
I’d try to observe them to make sure each one of them eats this morning.
Try soaking their crumbles with water (like oatmeal consistency) or make them some soft scrambled eggs.

Chicks need few things to be healthy
-food
-water
-heat

They need chick grower crumbles 24/7
Clean water 24/7
And heat and also the room to get out of the heat

Hybrids are tough and usually healthy , where did you buy them ? They should replace the chick

Pictures would be great

Unfortunately the little hybrid died overnight. She was exactly a week old and I had been feeding all the chicks Organic Chick Starter. They're being kept in a small pet carrier with a heat lamp at night, and the yellow chicks (which are two weeks old) go into a small coop during the day (as long as it isn't raining). I wasn't told what breeds, just that they were hybrids (although, they had small amount of down around their feet, so perhaps bantams?). I'm not really sure what I did wrong, and the two yellow chicks have been healthy and active. Did I give the hybrids the wrong food?

araucana-chick.jpg

This isn't my chick, but these were what the hybrids looked like, slightly darker around the underbelly and face though.

Back
Top Bottom