Lethargic baby chick

sdaikus

Chirping
Mar 20, 2016
Hello everyone. I appreciate any help you can give me. Yesterday I received 10 new chicks. They are all doing well except one. She was fine and then this morning I went to check on them and she wasn't moving. I put her near the water and she would just fall back asleep. She's been like this all day. She seems to struggle to get up and walk, her chirp is low (when she actually does chirp) I syringe fed her some poly vi sol and sugar water but she's still so lethargic. Her poop is like water and is white and dark in color. What do I do to help her! (They are not on medicated feed nor were they vaccinated)

I would get some Corid from the feed store (or order it from Amazon) as soon as possible. It sounds like she may have Coccidiosis.

It comes in two forms, 20% powder and 9.6% liquid. Both say it is for cattle. It has use in poultry, too.

The dose is:

1.5 teaspoons (NO LESS) of the 20% powder per gallon of water
OR
2 teaspoons of the 9.6% liquid per gallon of water

Give for 5-7 days and make sure it's the only water they can access during treatment. Treat ALL your chicks.

Give a round of vitamins in their water after you're done with the Corid to help with any deficiencies.

If your sleepy chick is too weak to drink, you may have to keep with the syringe dropped... The sugar water is good. See if you can get her to eat a little raw yolk, in addition to the normal food.

Hopefully, that will perk her up and cure what ails her. :)

Let us know!

PS -
welcome-byc.gif

MrsB

Last edited:
I will get some first thing in the morning! Thanks so much for your help!

I will have to give it to her in a syringe until she hopefully perks up enough to drink on her own. I will spend all doing it, but how much and how often should I give her the medicated water?@MrsBrooke

Thanks again!!!!

What an adorable little baby. You are very kind to help her this way.

I'd mix up a gallon, pour some in a cup for the syringe to treat the chick and pour the rest of the gallon (or more) into the waterer for the other chicks.... Give it to all your chicks!!

Treat your sick chick last. Give her as much of the Corid water as she will drink. Hopefully, that will clear the dark poops up.

Have you tried giving her any yolk yet?

MrsB

I tried but she won't eat so I'm not sure how to make her. She does drink from the syringe though. @MrsBrooke

I just watered down a yolk and syringe fed it to her.. She did not get a lot at all! Maybe 0.3 - 0.4 Mls.. I pray it's enough to get her through the night until I get her meds! @MrsBrooke

I get up through the night to give her water and she seemed to just be getting worse. I thought maybe it was just due to the darkness and her being tired but now this morning she won't even drink out of the syringe. She's just listless
1f622.png
@MrsBrooke

She passed. It's a blessing bc I didn't want her to suffer. Thanks for your support, it's greatly appreciated
1f49c.png
@MrsBrooke

Back
Top Bottom