1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic baby Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GromitLV, Aug 28, 2013.

1. GromitLV

GromitLV New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    We did our first hatch and had 7 chicks hatch on Saturday (5 days old). 6 of the chicks are feisty fast moving and pushy. I have one that was the biggest of the hatch is now the smallest. She was put in the brooder to dry out after 12 hours in the incubator and not drying. We waited till Sunday to hold her and then only for a little bit at a time. Monday my daughter had her in and out of the brooder all day and by Monday night my daughter was telling me that the chick wouldn't open her eyes. I thought she was just really bonding to my daughter and enjoyed sleeping in her hands Because she would perk up when put back in the brooder, eat, drink and lots of peeping. Yesterday, she spent most the day sleeping. I did not notice if she was eating or drinking. But last night My daughter got her out again and she was very limp in her hands. I held her and she didn't even put up a fuss when we changed hands. I put her back in the brooder and watched for for about an hour. She would stand but then gradually fall asleep while standing. The other chicks ran around her, bump her and she'd lost her balance and stumble and wake for a bit then fall right back to sleep. I kept nudging her to the food and water and she would take a drink or two or a peck or two at the food and then fall back asleep. This morning she was curled up while the other were again pushing and shoving for the food and water. I nudged her and she didn't peep or want to get up. I helped her up and put her by the food and water and again she'd take a couple drinks and then fall asleep. When I left to take my daughter to school she was pecking at the food but when I got back (maybe 20 mins) she was asleep right in the middle of the food dish. I nudged her up again and she was standing when I left her but falling asleep again. She has been pooping, its a bit runny. She is not peeping anymore and she feels very thin. I know this was long, but could someone please help. What have I done wrong? And is there something I can do to help her? Thank you for any help you can give me.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. GromitLV

GromitLV New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Thank you flockwatcher for that info. It helps ease my mind a bit. I was looking at her today and found a black scab (for lack of better term) on her belly, the surrounding skin is red and swollen with a little bit of white between the black and the skin. Is this her umbilical cord? Do chickens have those? We have never had chickens before and I don't know what kind of bird she is, she is a crossbred I am told and I don't know what I am looking at. I took a picture Hopefully it shows up in here. I saw in an earlier similar post that maybe vitamins in her water would help or feeding her scrambled egg? Thank you again for your help.
    [​IMG]

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like infection... There is a name for it, will try to find info. I would treat with one drop of Baytril orally. Try looking up yolk sack infection.

-Kathy

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I believe the name that you are thinking of is Omphalitis, which is also called mushy chick disease, navel ill, or navel infection. It can be caused by bacteria, including Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus, and Streptococcus faecalis. Symptoms include an incompletely healed navel, fluid under skin, bluish abdomen, unabsorbed yolk in abdomen (sometimes yellowish green and watery or yellowish brown and cheese-like, often bad smelling.). There is no real treatment; culling is preferable.

However, GromitLV, I wouldn't give up hope yet. I'd isolate your weak chick, if possible, in her own warm, clean place. See if she'll eat some scrambled or hard-boiled egg, moistened chick feed, or applesauce. Perhaps put some chick vitamins/electrolytes in her water, along with some probiotics. If she won't drink on her own, dip her beak into the water, or drip water on the side of her beak. This will usually get chicks to swallow. If she won't eat solid feed, you can dissolve some chick feed in water and get her to drink that mixture.

Other than that, and perhaps giving some Baytril or another antibiotic like Casportpony suggested, I don't think there is much more you can do for your little chick. Just keep her quiet, and try not to stress her out too much by a lot of handling. Good luck!

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's the one...

This link has some info on it:
    http:[email protected][email protected][email protected]/documents/asset/cvm_asset_350829.pdf

-Kathy

7. GromitLV

GromitLV New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Thank you so very much. i am going to move her to another place. I have put some neosporin on her and got some Ploy-vi-sol in her water. Having to hand water her right now. Where can I get [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Baytril? Both my pharms hadn't heard of it. Would they have it at the feed store?[/FONT]

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can buy it online, just do a search for enfloxil 10, it's the generic version from Mexico. Any vet will have it, but it's prescription only from them.

-Kathy

9. GromitLV

GromitLV New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Thank you again Kathy. I will look for it today. She made it through the night, hoping that she makes it through the day. I have tried the apple sauce and moisten chick feed but she isn't having it. I have been hand watering her with the multi-vit and some chick feed mixed in. She is still pooping but no longer standing to do it. Thank you again for your help. Now I know what to do better the next time.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you have a pet store nearby, you could try force feeding her small crickets. You could also try calling some cat/kitten rescue places to see if they would be willing to give you a few drops of baytril.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by