lethargic baby =(

campclaus

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 1, 2012
just got 14 babies in yesterday. there is one this morning that seem so lethargic! a little poo that i cleaned off, bought her to the water and dipped her nose in it. she seemed uninterested in drinking. the other chicks keep pecking her head! should i seperate her? im so sad she may not make it!

She may just need an energy boost. Try giving all of them some sugar water (3 tablespoons per quart) to see if she perks up. Dip her beak in the water as you have been doing. You can also try putting poly-vi-sol vitamins (wothout iron, found in pediatric vitamins section at the pharmacy) into the water. About 1/2 tsp per quart should work.

You might consider separating her if the picking is bad. If possible put it where they can see each other but not get picked on. You also might try giving some pediolite or sav a chick for electrolytes.

I agree with RonC. Separate the chick because if the pecking gets so bad they could eventually kill it. I hate to say it but its true, I've heard many stories of it.

Yes I would say separate them. I had (sort of) this happen yesterday. Except I know what caused it. The top of the brooder dropped on her. When I picked her up to see if she was okay, she went all lethargic. She wouldn't even hold her head up, so I thought maybe her neck was broken. I immediately started freaking out and brought her inside with me. After a little, she was holding her head just fine and would stand, she just didn't want to walk. I tried to get her to eat, but she wouldn't. I got a boiled egg, mashed it up, and tried to feed that to her. She didn't even want to try it, so i had open her mouth and put some in. After that, she liked it and ate quite a bit more. Someone also recommended me putting sugar in there water for more energy. Once I thought she was strong enough, I put her outside with the others. I just went to check on her this morning, and she is looking great. I don't know if this would really be the case with you since I think it was mostly shock that caused this. I have had your situation happen to a few duck though, and I've found that the best thing is to keep them separated and warm.

thanks everyone for the advise. this morning before i went to work i added nutri-drench which says its a rapid rich nutritional supplement. It is suppose to rapidly deliver energy and nutrients.
I had my son all day dip her beak in water. She still is lethargic and wont eat or drink. doesn't seem worse, but no better neither. the others are for the most part leaving her alone, but i think i may seperate her anyhow. These are our first chickies and feel so bad.
ill keep you posted...

good luck. We made a chick hospital inside the brooder, which served as a safe place for our sick bird to recover, 2 days in the chick hospital and she was great- now 8 weeks old!

hugs.gif
sorry.

Sorry about the loss but at least you got 13 other healthy chickies! Sadly loss in the first few weeks is normal, not every chick is meant to make it. :( Still stinks though when you do lose one.

Back
Top Bottom