Lethargic, bad appetite, spongy crop-Blackhead disease???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tilly-Remi, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Tilly-Remi

Tilly-Remi New Egg

Aug 22, 2011
    Hi everyone! I was content to just wade through the amazing amount of information you've all put together...until I ended up with a sick chicken myself. Here are the particulars:
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Barred Plymouth, 2 years, unknown
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Lethargic, lots of closed eyes, doesn't go after the food like the other chickens, began to go off alone. Comb, etc. seems slightly less red than the other chickens, her crop seems spongy and large, her droppings have green solid plus light yellow/white ribbons with a larger amount of liquid than normal.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4-5 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Nothing
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Some water mixed with apple cider vinegar and "broth" made by boiling water with tiny cut up carrots and celery and a tiny amount of oats
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Green solid with light yellow/whitish ribbons and fair amount of liquid
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Special "diet" and isolation
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Need to treat myself if at all possible
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    N/A
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Straw and pine chip bedding

I am completely new to chicken children and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Maybe sore crop not sure---since spongy--not sure if this cause type of droppings you mention though. For sore crop dip pieces of bread in olive oil and feed to her and give her Save a Chick or Vit A Sol in Eye Dropper 3-4 times a day--and place in her water...for vits and electrolytes..

3. Tilly-Remi

Tilly-Remi New Egg

Aug 22, 2011
    ***UPDATE***

Does this look like Blackhead disease??

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by