Lethargic Bantam Rooster, runny fecal matter, not crowing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bluegreen343, Aug 26, 2013.

1. bluegreen343

bluegreen343 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Hello, I have and year and a half year old bantam rooster. I believe is breed is part cochin? But I am not completely sure, he is black, with a greenish tint in sunlight, and some yellow speckles. But I just went to let my chickens free range, and when I let them outside, he did not run with the hens away from the coop, he walked very slowly, with his head somewhat lower than usual, not seeming very happy. This is very odd for him to do, usually he is very happy, running around, crowing, eating everything he can, mounting hens, and just seeming very normal. But just a few hours ago he started acting like this, what should I do? I am very concerned about him! His name is Elvis, and our chickens are like pets to us! Do you think it is a big deal? And if so what needs to be done? Also there is nothing that I know that could have triggered this, they free range all the time, we live out in the country so there wouldn't have been any interference of other chickens, there haven't been any new birds for months, and I just don't know what could have caused Elvis to act like this... please help, right now he is just laying down by the hens,

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. bluegreen343

bluegreen343 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    also none of the other chickens seem to be acting strange

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would suspect coccidiosis and treat with Corid liquid 2 tsp. per gallon of water. Treat all of the birds for 5 days. It is in the cattle medicine section of the feedstore. Watch for any blood in his stool, but some strains do not cause bloody stools. Check his crop to make sure it is emptying by morning, in case his problem is that. Check him closely especially around the neck and vent for lice and mites. You might want to worm him with valbazen or safegard if he hasn't been wormed recently. Usually by his age birds are immune to the cocci on your property, but other strains they aren't immune to may be brought in by getting more chickens or tracked in on shoes.

4. bluegreen343

bluegreen343 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Do I need to isolate him? I don't want the other hens to get sicker ? Is it contaguois

5. bluegreen343

bluegreen343 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Contagious* sorry

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not sure he has cocci, but I would go ahead and treat for it. They have already been exposed to him if he has that, so I wouldn't isolate him unless you want to keep him in a crate to see how much he eats, drinks, and what his stools look like. Cocci can kill pretty fast so that is why I would treat for it. The med won't hurt them if it isn't cocci. They will need some vitamins and probiotics in their water AFTER they finish the Corid.

7. bluegreen343

bluegreen343 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Turns out Elvis has a tumour... Not sure how long he will last but he can be with his girls until then :'(

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry to hear that. Where is his tumor? Could you give more details since we would like to learn?

9. bluegreen343

bluegreen343 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Upper inside thigh, "crotch" region sortof... Quarter sized...

10. bluegreen343

bluegreen343 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Well hi anyone who is interested in this forum... Suprisingly, Elvis seems to be acting like he was in full health! He runs around, his tail feathers are perky, he mounts hens, calls them for treats, and is evene crowing again! Although his crow sounds a bit deeper.... Not sure why or how this is even possible but he is happy now, and that's all that matters to me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by