Lethargic Bantams

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Truecelt, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Truecelt

Truecelt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    Verona, KY
    I live in Northern KY and made the mistake (I think) of getting bantams this summer along with my layers. (the spring hatch got decimated by a predator...) It's now approximately 20 degrees here, and yesterday I had to pick up 2 non responsive bantams from my run. A frizzle cochin and a silkie. The other bantams and layers are all doing just fine. I brought the two inside and put them under a heat lamp, gave them crushed food, and water with vitamins and electolytes. Today they are both doing much much better.

My question is, how should I acclimate them to going back outside. I keep it somewhat chilly inside-68 or so- but that is still a great deal warmer than the 20 degrees outside right now..... I don't want to shock their systems, but I also cannot keep them inside until spring. My husband is tolerant, but not that tolerant. :)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have a few bantams in my mixed flock, and have never had trouble with them in winter. First, I would look around your coop to make sure it is draft free, but still has overhead ventilation high up to get rid of fumes and humidity. Provide a wide roost (2 X 4 is great) so they can cover their feet. Having deep litter in the coop will help to keep it warm. Do the bantams roost with the larger hens? How old are the banties? My coop has large spaces between boards, so I will staple up plastic feed bages to wind-proof in winter. I am fairly close to you in climate in southern Ohio.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I have silkies and they usually do quite well. The thing is with silkies is they can NOT get wet. their feathers are not like regular feathers and the water does not roll off.it will stay on them and soak them then that's what will cause trouble. also silkies usually sleep in piles on The ground and can't roost
    in higher places like the other bird's. I'm not sure
    about the other bantam but silkies will need some nice dry shsvings to roost or sleep in. I would make certain your silkie has some deep DRY shavings to sleep in and she should be fine. Make sure she stays dry and because she's likely going to sleep on the ground give her plenty of deep shavings she can sleep in. If you provide her with a dry area and clean deep shavings she should be fine. My silkies usually cuddle together in the shavings for warmth. . silkies have nice warm feathers and as long as they are dry with a place they can sleep that's dry they should be just fine. We're you providing her with shavings she could sleep in? Mine much perfer the shavings over a low roost. I really hope this helps. Because she's alone and has no one to cuddle with in her shavings id keep a eye on her while she gets accustomed to it. Just give her some nice deep litter she can sleep in and she should be alright. Mine dig a bed or nest out in the litter then they all pile into one nest. Sleeping next to or on top of one another for warmth. If you provide her with the dry deep litter she should not have any problems. Best wishes

4. Truecelt

Apr 7, 2013
    Verona, KY
    They're only about 3 months. The other silkies, sultan, and cochins are out with the easter eggers and sussex and are doing fine, its these two that have the issue. I wanted my layers in the larger coop on the roost, but they're happier huddled with the bantams in the smaller coop ( we built a new coop of the original that was lower to the ground and no roost for the silkies specifically) when it's time to put these two back outside, should I do it at night when everyone is cuddled, or have them wander about with everyone during the day? All these birds have been together since shipping, with the exception of last night.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    How long have they been separate? If its been awhile you might want to get them reacculmated to each other and see how the flock reacts to them. They might be more likely to accept them if its done at night. Or you can try to let them get used to each other slowly by allowing them to see each other but
    a place where the flock can not hurt them. See how
    they act towards one another.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  6. Truecelt

Apr 7, 2013
    Verona, KY
    They've only been separate 1 night thus far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by