Lethargic Barred Rock hen, worried about her condition...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Year of the Rooster, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    For about 5 days (since the 1st of Jan.) my Barred Rock has been acting lethargic. From the research I've done I realize that this isn't enough to pinpoint the cause. However this is what I have noticed of her: She is eating, how much I am not sure as I don't have time to observe her during the day (due to school), but she wouldn't eat her usual treat of sunflowers seeds (from the ground or my hand). She would act interested and come running out with everyone else, but would ignore the treats. Same thing with drinking, I don't know how much, if at all, she is drinking. Though when I can see her during the day I see her huddled up with her eyes closed. Her comb and wattles have no discoloration except for a few frostbite scabs (very tiny because her comb is bumpy). Eyes also look clear. No nasal discharge. No limping or signs of physical injury. However I did notice that she may have been kicked down the pecking order by my EE, plus, the Barred Rock usually bosses the Silkies around which she hasn't done in a while (if at all). She hasn't molted this winter either, and as far as I can tell she isn't laying. She doesn't feel too skinny, but IMO she could put on a little more weight. She is kind of small for a Barred Rock (she is a hatchery bird, from Ideal). Haven't seen her poop. I will look tonight under the roost where she is sleeping. She has been sleeping on the roosts since I first noticed this behavior. The flock is fed 16% Dumor Layer feed with BOSS every once in a while, bedding is pine shavings, and this girl is almost 2 1/2 years old. Oh and I've also put Wazine in their water as I thought she had worms at first. Fresh water will be given tonight as it's been 24 hours. I hope this is enough information [​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Check for mites and lice...in the vent and tail area. Also, how is her breathing? May have been her being picked on. Is there anyway to isolate her for evaluation and rest and reintroduce her.

Hope some others will pipe in. Have a blessed day. Nancy
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Our current auctions:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
    10+ Blue Cooper Marans & Splash Marans (Mostly Blues!) eggs
    12+ Buff Orpington Hatching Eggs
    10+ Crested and Non Crested Pekin Duck Eggs - No Reserve!
    [URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436662] Pickup only - Pure Coronation Sussex Rooster at the Point of Crowing![/url]

3. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Her breathing seems ok. I brought her in the garage last night and put food and water in front of her to see what she'd do. She didn't touch the food at all but was very thirsty. Her crop was empty too. Also, she pooped, but it was just white and watery.

4. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quick Update: I looked her over this afternoon and she was infested with mites/lice. I brought her in and bathed her in anti- flea/tick/lice shampoo. We don't have any DE at the moment, plus she liked the relaxing warm water [​IMG] Hopefully we'll see an improvement in the next couple days.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I recommend you dust her and all your chickens with sevin dust. Also you need to dust inside their house, nests and roosts. You'll need to repeat dusting everything including your chickens in 10 days.

6. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:I recommend you dust her and all your chickens with sevin dust. Also you need to dust inside their house, nests and roosts. You'll need to repeat dusting everything including your chickens in 10 days.

Thank you dawg53!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by