lethargic, & black/weird looking comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DanLeaAnn7, Mar 19, 2013.

1. DanLeaAnn7

DanLeaAnn7 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Hempstead, TX
    Hi, I am hoping someone can help with my chickens. We lost one last week (a red) and now I have another sick chicken with te same symptoms . She is very lethargic, and her comb seems to be turning black. She doesn't want to move - I moved her away from the other chickens (to keep her from being picked on) and she did drink a bit and she ate a little yogurt I left out for her, but she has not improved. Reading the other posts today, it seems like it could be mites, but I was hoping I could post some pictures and someone might be able to help me figure this out. Tomorrow I will dust all the chickens (19 hens total) thanks so much !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DanLeaAnn7

Oct 9, 2009
    Hempstead, TX
    My black made it thru the night, she is still alive but not moving much, we put her in a rabbit cage with hay, water and food, but she is not moving. We dusted her this morning with insecticide dust, and the whole flock too, not sure what to think, I would really appreciate any thoughts. I was told that yogurt was bad, gives them diarrhea so I took that away. Thanks in advance, Lea

3. daviechik

daviechik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    im following your thread as it seems my hen is doing something similar (even down to the dark comb) she has no bugs on her though? (is that why you dusted yours? that you have an insect issue?)

ours vent area is also very distended

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  4. DanLeaAnn7

Oct 9, 2009
    Hempstead, TX
    Thanks for your reply Daviechik,
    no, I have not seen any indication that it is mites, but reading thru threads here it seems that it might be - (because she is lethargic) so I dusted this morning in hopes things would get better. Please let me know how your chickens are faring, sure is a weird thing - Lea

5. DanLeaAnn7

Oct 9, 2009
    Hempstead, TX
    She died last night. On close inspection her vent area was full of fluid, yellowish, -- maybe the egg broke?
    The 24 hours we had her confined in a rabbit cage, she never pooped. We did see her take a few drinks though. I am not sure what went on, but since we lost one a week ago (to the day) to seemingly the same thing, I just don't know what to think - any thoughts? How do I protect the rest of the flock ? She was 2 1/2 years old. (and so are the other 18 hens) Thanks in advance, Lea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by