Lethargic, bubbly runny beak, droopy tail.... HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 932ninja, Mar 7, 2015.

1. 932ninja

932ninja Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Cantonment, Florida
    I searched through a lot of posts for answers, nothing was quite perfect. I have a hen (1 yr. old New Hampshire Red) that was isolated and standing with a droopy tail all lethargic. I picked her up and turned her upside down to check her vent and a steady bit of clear fluid ran out of her beak. When I looked there were bubbles on the sides of her beak. I violated her to see if I felt an egg, nothing.... She is in a stall isolated now. I always am ready to throw antibiotics at everything, but any ideas from you experts??? Her crop feels really full.
    TIA!!!!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    With hold food now, but not water. See if her crop is still full tomorrow. She may have an impacted crop. Try not to vomit her again, it's easy to aspirate them. There are tons of threads and instructions on this site on how to deal with crop impaction. [​IMG]

3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Agreed.

4. 932ninja

932ninja Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Cantonment, Florida
    I "violated" her.... I went in her vent with a lubed pinky to check for an egg :O I am sure there is a more appropriate medical term for that. Thanks for the advice and fast response! I just checked on her again and she feels almost bloated and her abdomen was making a few subtle noises....

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG] You did a vent exam. you're making me laugh though.[​IMG]

6. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by