Lethargic Buff Orpington--seems broody but pale comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tempest555, Jun 14, 2011.

1. tempest555

tempest555 New Egg

Aug 11, 2010
    I have a small flock of various birds and one is a 2-year-old Buff Orpington. About 2 weeks ago she started acting broody. I would take her out the nesting box and collect the eggs but she would continue to go to the same box.

After a week of this, I took her to the vet. The vet told me she appears healthy, a good weight, and there were no parasites.

I continue to watch her and she seems to be in decline. When I take her out the nesting box she goes straight for the food and water but then gets back into the box. Her comb is getting more and more pale but I haven't noticed any trouble breathing as of yet.

I think I will quarantine her today. I am feeding the hens Dumor layer crumble and have two containers of water I fill about every 2-3 days. I also feed them table scraps and fruit pulp from juicing. I just realized I haven't given them any type of grit in a while so will do that today.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
    Tara

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Combs do get pale when birds go broody. It's perfectly normal. I believe it is related to hormonal changes.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by