Lethargic Buff Orpington

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nirtak, Mar 22, 2016.

1. nirtak

nirtak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2015
    One of our three Buff Orpington's we got last summer was different than all the others (no comb, not grown up chicken shaped neck, lowest in pecking order). It started acting strange about two weeks ago, sticking her head into her back most of the time, barely moving.
    Just now I thought she was dead in the coop. When I reached her with a stick, she barely moved. I think she'll die soon.

Do you think it's something genetic/congenital? Or infectious and I have to worry about the others? The others seem fine.

The 3 sexlinks we have are 11 months old, the 3 Buff Orpington's are almost 10 months old.
    Thank you for your advice!

This is her:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of her sisters, same age:
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could be a runt, or have some congenital problem that has made her weak and have lowered immunity. Heart, kidney, or liver diseases can be common in chickens. Sometime coccidiosis infection becomes chronic and chickens don't do well later on. I doubt if she would be egg bound since she doesn't have a red comb. If she dies, you could get a necropsy by your state vet to look for any illnesses. I would check her for lice and mites especially under the vent. If you haven't wormed the flock, Valbazen and SafeGuard liquid goat wormer and horse paste are very good. Your vet could also look at a few fresh droppings for worms, coccidia, and do a gram stain for bacteria.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  3. nirtak

Jun 30, 2015
    Thanks for your input!

I forgot to post an update.
    She died less than a day after my original post.

The breeder i got her from came by. He thinks it was chronic coccidiosis. I'm not sure, but then I have no experience. I thought, though, that all of them would have it/have had it at some point.

Anyway, now we are dealing with a new pecking order and two aggressors towards one chicken. Fun times

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry to hear of your loss. There is a type of chronic coccidiosis in one or two strains, and she could have had some problem with immunity. Hopefully they will work out their pecking order soon.

5. nirtak

Jun 30, 2015
    Yes, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by