1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic chick also breathing heavy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EmilyOstertag, Mar 6, 2017.

1. EmilyOstertag

EmilyOstertag Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Hello,

We got five chicks today from Southern States, each a different breed--so they were in different brooders. Our Welsummer is not doing so good, or at least I think she looks a little under the weather despite looking healthy at the store. We just got them home and all set up about 3 or 4 hours ago, and while all the others are settling in, eating, running around and drinking water she is extremely lethargic, lying around and breathing with her beak open. I have not seen her attempt to eat or drink, but she has walked over to the dispensers and looks interested. Overall she looks pretty sad. Also, her wings are drooped down and away from her body while her head seems to sag with weakness. She had a pasty butt when we got home, but I was sure to clean that off and apply a small dap of antibiotic ointment to it. After reading about Coccidiosis, I made her a mixture of water, electrolytes, vitamins, sugar and apple cider vinegar, which I gave her with a Q-Tip. Her must've gotten at least a few drops.

One thing she is managing to do quite vigorously is preen her bottom/vent area, as it is a little wet/ointment covered. That small bit of spunk is giving me some hope. Their brooder temperature is 86 degrees Fahrenheit right now and climbing slowly since I put the thermometer in there, which seems to be suiting the others just fine.

I don't know what else to do for her! Please help. I would feel so bad about separating her and lack another suitable area... although I could come up with one if need be. I've also thought about giving her some egg yolk from one of our adult chicken's fresh eggs. Would this help, since she does not seem to be eating?

Thank you!

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to the club! I am so glad you joined us and I hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

First, if you have different breeds they do not need to be separated, I raised 7 different breeds together and many people have mixed breed chicks, so I recommend combining them, particularly the four acting normal, they will enjoy the companionship. I would give your chick a drop or two of electrolytes, and post your question in the raising baby chicks page as well. Good luck!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. EmilyOstertag

EmilyOstertag Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2017
    Hello and thank you for the welcome! :)

I will continue with the electrolyte mixture and try to find an eyedropper to better hydrate her with. Thank you both for the advice!

Sorry to have posted this in the New Member Forum! I am new to BackyardChickens, and am waiting for the site to "monitor" my other threads in the "Raising Baby Chicks" and "Emergencies" Forums.

Update: The brooder temp. is now at 93 degrees F, and Rachel (the Welsummer chick) is doing about the same. :(

I have also raised many breeds together, and they always seem to enjoy each others' company. I mentioned that they are different breeds and therefore in different brooders (containers) at the store, because I thought it would be a needed detail in diagnosing, or treating, our Welsummer (as the others were not exposed to whatever she might have until we bought them today and put them all together). I would only separate them if she is contagious, which I am not sure of yet. But thank you all the same for the advice! :)

Thanks again!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You are offline so you won't be reading my response now. You also won't benefit from your other posts on various threads because NO ONE can reach you while you are off line.
    You would not even see private messages until you come on line again.

You could try Polyvisol pediatric drops (NO IRON) for your chick. I would suggest 2 drops 3x a day. Put the drops just inside her mouth so if she doesn't want to swallow she can push them out. Does she know how to drink from a dish? If you put a bit of sugar in the water it may temp her. Then gently dip her beak in the water, so she learns this is what you drink.
    For very young chicks a shallow water dish is best with clean marbles or pebbles in it, so a weak or sleepy chick doesn't fall in and drown.

If the other chicks are walking all over her or pushing her around, you could put her in her own little box inside the brooder. Give her a little stuffed animal or wash cloth to cuddle with.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear your little chick isn't doing well. Please let us know how she is today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by