Lethargic Chick Died-- Why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickeneer45, Aug 18, 2013.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    I had two three week old silkie porcelain chicks and one just inexplicably died. I came home from dinner to find him dead. All day he had been very lethargic. All day, he would just stand under the heatlamp with its eyes closed and wouldn't move or open them. He opened them only when I picked him up to check him over and he seemed fine. Does anyone know why he died? Thanks. I am very sad and am left with just one chick.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

In chicks that age showing lethargy the first thing I suspect, and treat immediately for, is coccidiosis. There can be other reasons of course but cocci is so fast and so deadly that if you even suspect it you need to treat for it immediately. You can always move on from there but if it is cocci you don't have time on your side.

I would pick up some Corid and treat your other chicks.

Edited to add: Sorry, I see you just have the one left, any possibility of finding her a couple of friends the same age?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  3. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    I am working on finding her a friend now. She is so lonely and won't stop chirping for her friend. :( Will get corid tomorrow

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some chicks have some sort of internal problem, and never thrive. They may look fine, and even grow and act like the other chicks, but one day they die. However, I think that Coccidiosis is the main suspect. I'd get Corid liquid or powder and start treating your remaining chicks. The 9.6% Corid liquid dosage is 1/2 teaspoon liquid per quart of drinking water for 5-7 days. The Corid powder dosage is 1/2-3/4 teaspoon powder per gallon of drinking water for 5-7 days. During Corid treatment, do not give any vitamins in the water. Probiotics are fine. But definitely get Corid, as Coccidiosis kills fast.

5. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    Thanks. I hope that it wasn't coccidiosis :(

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It's actually one of the easiest things to treat and clear up, provided you catch the symptoms and start treatment right away, that is the trick with cocci. I think I'd rather treat a cocci outbreak then just about anything else I've had to deal with in chickens so far! [​IMG]

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed. [​IMG]

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X3!

10. chickeneer45

Sep 17, 2012
    It says that that corid is for calves but all I have is one baby chick... Is that the right stuff?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by