lethargic chick- is it blocked crops? pls help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coveyofbells, May 16, 2011.

1. coveyofbells

coveyofbells New Egg

May 16, 2011
    I received 6- day old chicks and have had them in a brooder w/ heat lamp, medicated chick starter & water at all times. I think I made a mistake when reading through some other forum conversations regarding grit for babies. I read from a few different people that sod or dirt was a good idea so the chicks have an option for grit using dirt. So I have let them have a chunk of sod in a corner for three days now. Today one of the chicks has been lethargic and I've notice a change in it's poop. It's completely white & runny. I'm guessing b/c I've been giving it water off my finger tips but it's not eating.
    I tool the sod out, and mixed corn meal into the chicks food as per a friend's recommendation. I've also separated it from the others...
    I feel terrible; I thought the sod was goignt o keep them busy & help their digestion. I now realize there little bodies are still too fragile for anything fibrous that may have been mixed in the dirt.
    Is there anything I can do to help it? Does it sound like something else? Any help is appreciated!
    Thank you!

2. coveyofbells

coveyofbells New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Also, the chick is not pecking & scurrying around like the other chicks. It's standing mostly but just kind of sleepy like. When I separated it from the others it did occasionally call out & try to jump out of the container(it's in a smaller container inside the brooder).

3. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Hi.... was he acting normal when you brought him home?

4. coveyofbells

coveyofbells New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Yes. There was no differentiating between the 6 of them except one of them had a little pasty butt that is gone after a day or tow of wiping. They have all had the same energy and curiosity for pecking & exploring until now. It's hard to tell but I think his breathing is a little harder than the others. Right now the other 5 are all asleep on the bedding & this one is standing up with it's eyes closed not moving. Still not eating or drinking on it's own.

5. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
  6. coveyofbells

coveyofbells New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Thanks for the link! I've read a bunch a tried a couple things that couldn't have hurt: I added some baby(I have a 2yo son) powdered probiotic to it's water & also made a little paste from it that I dabbed on it's beak. I also sat & massaged her crop. It's 1AM & I'm afraid to go to bed & find her just lying there in the morning. She's not even drinking on her own...
    Ugh. this is just as bad as having a sick baby.

7. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    How is the baby today? Any better? [​IMG] Hope there is some improvement!

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use olive oil for blocked crops and massage gently. I've done this twice with the chicks. I put the oil in wet starter feed. I found it's the easiest way. Good luck.

9. coveyofbells

coveyofbells New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Thanks to all who helped me. I was up late into the night massaging and hydrating the little chick. I also had some probiotic powder for infants that I made a little paste out of & fed to the chick. Maybe had I caught it earlier or tried oil I could have helped the the little guy. But it didn't make it through the night. I still can't say from all my reading, what exactly it was. I'd like to be able to prevent or catch this earlier if it happens to my other chicks/chickens. The little chick didn't have a hardened crop; it was actually quite soft & mushy. Other than the white runny poo and it's sleepiness it seemed in good health for the first 6 days of it's life...They're so fragile.
    This is turning out to be more of an emotional commitment than I realized.

Thanks again for everyone's advice & concern.

10. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]
    I had one like that. I was giving it water with electrolytes and thankfully it came back. Sounds like you have others that you can focus on. I'm sure you will do great with them. Try not to get very emotional. I think all of us have lost one now and again. It's just hard when they are so young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by