lethargic chick, not eating...one week old.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by skylarms, Mar 10, 2013.

1. skylarms

skylarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    One of my hatchlings is not acting right. It is just standing there, doing nothing. It will walk around okay, but won't eat or drink. It's always been a bit if a runt. Everyone else is running around and eating like normal. I gave it some electrolyte water. An hour later when I checked on it, its crop was ballooned up with fluid. I didn't give it that much mind you. I softly massaged it and it threw up all the fluid. Any thoughts or suggestions? Beings that it is Sunday, my store options are limited. Thanks! All I have on hand is Tylan and electrolytes. Thanks! Oh, I haven't seen it poop. It was hatched here. It's on nonmedicated chick starter.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    i would give it some nutritional mash- scrambled eggs mixed with the chick feed, lots of protein. this happened to one of my chicks and she's 12 pounds now!!!!!! good luck.

3. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    I'll try. Thanks. Little thing won't eat though...I'm hoping now that it threw up maybe it will feel better. It's actually resting now instead of just standing there. I'm not sure if this is a good sign or not...

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Go to your feed store before they close and get some Corid (amprolium). It's in the cattle section.

5. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    I tried.... They don't have it. The vet supply does but they aren't open today. I did find some sulfadimethoxine which is supposed to help should it coccidia, but not as great as corid. How would something hatched here and kept in a very clean cage get it? I know anything is possible I guess.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can it poop? What happens if you squeeze some out?

7. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    It can. It's clear liquid and white. No color....its not pooping much but it hasn't eaten in awhile. It will drink from a syringe, but not food. I sold all its fellow hatchlings but wouldnt sell this one. I should mention too that this chick hatched unassisted but bled from its umbilicus to the point that I did have to go in and stop the bleeding. Never had that happen before. But it seemed fine up till last night and today.

8. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    He's gone.....

9. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    im soooo sorry!! :'(

10. skylarms

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Thank you. It was never the strongest chick. I'm thinking somethings been off since day one. Poor little thing. We really tried! Now I get to be paranoid about everyone else. I'm sire glad I held him back. I would have felt AWEFUL should he had been sold then die. Although, the rest of the batch went to a veterinarian so maybe he would have been better off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by