Lethargic chick, Not sure what’s going on?

CaliChicks13

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
California
I received 15 chicks on Friday this week and unfortunately one was dead on arrival, but the other 14 have been doing really well. The chick in question (a Salmon Faverolle) was actually the most boisterous when we finally got everyone set up in the brooder. Unfortunately, this morning I went to change their food/water and bedding and she was laying facedown with very little reaction to me picking her up. I originally thought she was still sleeping but there was no fight in her. She flops in my hand and seems half awake. I have had Save-a-Chick in their water since Friday and all the others are doing well. I ended up giving her a few small drops of Nutri-drench but I’m not seeing any improvement so far. She moves around but its never very far and never for very long. This is my first time raising chicks and I want to make sure I’m doing as much for them as I can. Also, the brooder temperature has been around 95-93 degrees Fahrenheit. Would anyone have any advice for what to do next or is it just a waiting game now? I’m tempted to separate her so the others wont try to peck at her toe feathers while she isn’t trying to run away.

I had one like that earlier this week that ended up dying (I made a post on here about it). Are you offering free-choice water with no electrolytes in it as well? Unfortunately I don't have advice on the light, I use an EcoGlow (hopefully someone else can chime in).

I had one like that earlier this week that ended up dying (I made a post on here about it). Are you offering free-choice water with no electrolytes in it as well? Unfortunately I don't have advice on the light, I use an EcoGlow (hopefully someone else can chime in).

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. I’m so sorry to hear you experienced something similar. Its disheartening and hard not to feel at fault about it :( I haven’t given them any water without Save-a-Chick so far but today was going to be the last day I added it. I’ll make sure to have that available ASAP now though!

I have her in a crate separated from the others because she just wasn’t holding her own against the more curious chicks. There’s a heating pad in there but I’m going to throw together a mini brooder just for her and see If some TLC does her any good. Here’s to hoping.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. I’m so sorry to hear you experienced something similar. Its disheartening and hard not to feel at fault about it :( I haven’t given them any water without Save-a-Chick so far but today was going to be the last day I added it. I’ll make sure to have that available ASAP now though!

I have her in a crate separated from the others because she just wasn’t holding her own against the more curious chicks. There’s a heating pad in there but I’m going to throw together a mini brooder just for her and see If some TLC does her any good. Here’s to hoping.

I hope it works out!! And if not, it did make me feel better knowing there was nothing that could be done (it was most likely a birth defect).

Sorry your chick's not doing well but it does happen. Heart wrenching as it is, it's probably due to the stress of shipping, you're doing the best you can & temp is good. They do ok without food about 3days after hatching ... see if you can get it to eat some boiled egg yolk (wet & make a mash). Nutri Drench is good but careful when feeding not to go down the wrong pipe.

You're using a heating pad in a crate which is all that's needed right now. Instead of any bedding, try just potty pads or paper towel or towels, easier to check out it's poo. Was it vaccinated from the hatchery?

You're using a heating pad in a crate which is all that's needed right now. Instead of any bedding, try just potty pads or paper towel or towels, easier to check out it's poo. Was it vaccinated from the hatchery?

Okay, I’lll keep her in the crate with the heating pad.👍 She’s been drinking water with some help but it’s me doing most of the work. I knew this might happen when I got these lil suckers but actually dealing with it isn’t fun! I’ll try out the egg mash here in a few. Thanks for the suggestion. I had all the chicks vaccinated for Marks and coccidiosis through Hoover Hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom