Lethargic chick, please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kara_leigh, Jun 7, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I am copying my post from the raising chicks section so I don't have to retype all of this info. Everything in italics is the old post.

One week ago, on Memorial Day, I got three new chicks. On Thursday one of them died. The other two are now three weeks old. My silver laced polish is doing GREAT! Very energetic, eating and drinking well, etc. My black and white polish isn't doing as well. It eats and drinks well, but otherwise it just seems to be very listless. It does walk around some, but for the most part it just stands there with its eyes closed. When it does move around, it is pretty clumsy, stumbling a lot. Tonight it fell and got stuck in the corner behind the feeder and didn't even try to get out. The only reason I noticed was b/c the silver laced chick was calling for help and I was attracted to the unusual ruckus. (don't worry, I moved the feeder so it won't happen again) When I pick it up, it just sits in my hand and doesn't move really at all, whereas the silver laced one stands on my finger, chirps at me, bounces around, etc.

Since it has made it a week, do you think its odds are good, or do you think that it will probably die also? I hope not, b/c I don't want the poor silver laced one to be left alone. It is too small to be put with my 5 week olds. I've been doing Poly-vi-sol and sugar water, the temp in their bin is perfect for their age. I can't find Sav-a-chick anywhere around here. Nothing seems to be doing any good. Is there anything else that I can do?

This experience is making me never want to have tiny chicks EVER again.

Poor chick isnt doing well today. (apologize for my typing, im holding him in one hand typing with other) He continues to be lethargic, just standing there with its eyes closed, wings drooped. im holding him right now, he likes to lay on his back n my hand, goes right to sleep. im outside keeping an eye on my new free rangers. for some reason his legs/feet keep shaking like crazy, and occasionally he'll shiver, even though it is pretty warm out here. Why is that? What should i do??

Poop is completely normal, eats and drinks completely normal. I don't know what else to do. *sigh* I hate just sitting here watching it die. I will be getting yogurt on Thursday when we go to town, but the only place that carried Sav-a-chick around here doesn't reopen until the 15th. I don't know why the other chick died. Other than the shivering and leg shaking, this chick is acting just like the other chick did the couple days before it died.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    The listlessness, drooping wings, and closed eyes might mean he poor guy has coccidiosis. Eventually there may be blood in the stool, but it's often in the later stages and by then it can be hard to save the chick. Here's a link about it in case you haven't heard of it: http://www.millerhatcheries.com/Information/Diseases/coccidiosis.htm

It's
    very common in chicks, and it does not necessarily mean uncleanliness. They shed the oocysts in their poo, and so keep overloading their environment with the organism.

Sulmet and Corid are used to treat it, both applied in their water. From what I've heard, Corid treats the broadest range, but is hard to obtain. Sulmet treats several kinds of coccidiosis, but not all, but is easier to get at the feed store.

I'm sorry you have to go through this! Good luck with the little guy, keep us posted! [​IMG]

3. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    If it is Coccidiosis, do I have to worry about my other chicks getting it? I have another small chick like this one, then six 5-week-olds, and six 11-week-olds. The bigger ones don't come into contact with this chick at all, but the one other tiny one does. Can other animals get it, and can I spread it on my hands or clothing at all? All of the feed stores are closed now, and we probably wouldn't be able to go until Thursday anyway b/c they are 45 min away and we already have a trip planned on that day and we can't afford the gas to go two days in a row. We're new here, so I don't know anyone that could possibly already have those meds. [​IMG] Is there anything I can do until then?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by