1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TrialandError, Sep 26, 2015.

1. TrialandError

TrialandError Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    SW Florida
    I have a buff orpington that is about 2 weeks old. I also have 6 other different chicks that are fine. The buff was normal acting the day before and now all it does is sleep. It still eats and drinks but super slow. The poop is normal. She also looks like she is letting her wings hang down a little bit. Might she need more warmth? I live in FL and have them on my back porch. And like I said earlier the other 6 are zooming around and wveryong is eating and drinking normal and all have normal poops including lethargic buff.

I picked her up today and she kept one eye closed

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  2. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe she is just tired? It doesn't sound too extreme. You can try adding some electrolytes to her water. How cold does it get at night? Is she lying on her side when she sleeps, or normally? How old is she?

3. TrialandError

Jul 23, 2015
    SW Florida
    She's about 2 weeks old. She sleeps either standing or on her knees but usually standing. She's never on her side. It gets about 77 degrees at night

4. LeafBlade12345

That's strange, everything sounds okay....how long has she been lethargic? Is she vaccinated for Mareks'?

5. TrialandError

Jul 23, 2015
    SW Florida
    Today is 2 days she has been lethargic. I've had her almost a week. Don't think she was vaccinated for mareks as I got them from a local feed store.

6. LeafBlade12345

Your chick may be too hot. Does she have access to water all day? Does she have a shade cover? How hot does it typically get in the daytime where you are? I'm sorry for all the questions, I am stumped here. It doesn't sound like Marek's but I can't be sure...

7. TrialandError

Jul 23, 2015
    SW Florida
    She is in a cage with the others on my back porch and it's shadded all day. It's about 90 during the day time. I am stumped too. Eyes are clear no labored breathing or raspiness. Not getting picked on. I will try and get a pic of her tomorrow since I am at work now.

8. LeafBlade12345

Okay. Well, I'm really not sure what is going on...what are they fed?

9. TrialandError

Jul 23, 2015
    SW Florida
    Not sure what it is. It's what they were fed at the feed store. It's super fine but not powdery. I saw that it had some corn in it that wasn't ground up all the way. Is it possible that maybe a slightly largish piece is stuck and this is causing her lethargy? I saw her poop today though but might be a possibility.

10. LeafBlade12345

Does she have a full crop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by