Lethargic Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunnyschickens, Mar 16, 2016.

1. sunnyschickens

sunnyschickens New Egg

Feb 5, 2009
    2 1/2 week old BO purchased from TS is very lethargic. I separated her from her 9 sisters who are fine and active. Tired baby has no other symptoms, just sleeps and is so tired when she does try to walk that she appears disoriented. I dipped her beak in water but she does not drink. Breathing seems a bit quick and labored. When I hold her she tucks her beak into my hand and falls asleep. As I said, I separated her, but does she really need to be quarantined?

BTW, I have been a member of BYC for 7 years but just got chickens!!!!

Thanks so much for suggestions!

2. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    I'm sorry that I can't help, but I hope she gets better! She sounds so sweet! [​IMG]
    Is there any way that you can force her to drink, like an eyedropper or something?
    When did she start acting that way?
    [​IMG]

3. KendraMarie

KendraMarie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2016
    H20 with electrolytes?

4. Jlipnitz

Jlipnitz New Egg

Mar 18, 2016
    I just bought 6 bantams from TS and one is acting the same way. My chicks are most likely a week old. Have you had any luck with your chick yet? I was just happy that mine was still alive this morning. I'm hoping she is just a little behind the others. If you find something that helps, will you please let me know?

5. Husker Hens

Husker Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

X2
    Have seen it perk up many lethargic chicks. It's not a miracle drug, but it certainly helps overcome the stress of shipping and everything. There's always going to be some loss unfortunately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by