lethargic chick

lil lulu

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2016
I have a sick baby! It went from acting fine to having diarrhea and being lethargic and even at times seems to be having convulsions. I have seperated it and for tonight have given it food with garlic mixed in even though it isn't touching it and have given it water with apple cider vinegar. I was able to syringe some of the water into it. Is there anything else I can do for tonight and anything I can get a the co-op tomorrow if it makes it through the night? Also I will be giving the other chicks garlic in their food and apple cider vinegar in their water too. Is their anything else I need to do for them to avoid it? I have one chick that is very docile and I am afraid if it gets sick I won't notice until it is to late.

So one of the other chicks already has it but I have no clue which one. After I seperated them there was bloody runny stool on the fresh newspaper. They are all up and moving, eating, and drinking. I plan on going to get something first thing in the morning but have no clue what I need to do. Any and all advice is welcome.

Oh no, your poor babies! I'm no expert, but isolate any sick-looking ones and make sure they are eating and drinking. (maybe mash up food and make it a bit soft with water so it's easier for them to eat? I'm not sure what you are feeding them)
Keep them warm...I hope someone more experienced can pitch in!
Sorry, I can't help with the medication side of things.
I hope they get better quickly!
If it is coccidiosis, look it up on byc! There have been many cases of it reported on here before.

Sounds like coccidiosis. Google it.

I'm fairly certain that's what it is. I looked it up last night. I'm still not sure what all I am going to get but I'm fairly certain with the help of someone at the co-op I can find some medicine for them.

Oh no, your poor babies! I'm no expert, but isolate any sick-looking ones and make sure they are eating and drinking. (maybe mash up food and make it a bit soft with water so it's easier for them to eat? I'm not sure what you are feeding them)
Keep them warm...I hope someone more experienced can pitch in!
Sorry, I can't help with the medication side of things.
I hope they get better quickly!  
If it is coccidiosis, look it up on byc! There have been many cases of it reported on here before.

I am truly heart broken. The one I knew was sick has died and I have found the other sick one because it is now really lethargic too. I seperated it and cleaned everything up again. Hopefully I can manage to save this one but with how quickly it took the other one I am afraid it is too long gone. I am planning on treating everyone for it including my older chicks even though they never came in direct contact. Thank God I never got around to introducing them to the chicken coop this week.

Corid is what I bought.

Powder dose = 1.5 teaspoon per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
Liquid dose = 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

Make fresh daily.

Is the sickest one drinking? Did you get Corid powder or liquid?

-Kathy

Powder dose = 1.5 teaspoon per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
Liquid dose = 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

Make fresh daily.

Is the sickest one drinking? Did you get Corid powder or liquid?

-Kathy

The first one to get sick passed away during the night. The second one that was sickly is still able to get up and walk around and sometimes I can get it to drink a little bit. It was still eating as of last night but hasn't touched any food today. I got medicated food and mixed a little bit of yogurt and water in it to mush it up some to see it maybe it will eat that. I got the liquud form and accidentally mixed it way to strong to start off with bit quickly corrected it. I also noticed this afternoon that it had a solid poo so I'm hoping I caught it in time on this one.

I was finally able to get it to eat a little bit. I had to rub its beak in the food and once it finally took a bite it took a couple more.

Back
Top Bottom