Lethargic chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kull1337, Feb 25, 2017.

1. kull1337

kull1337 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Hey all i just got a batch of 3 day old chicks from the feed store that i ordered last week. They were all doing great when i picked them up but today one of them has its wings drooped down and out and is just standing in one place. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks in advance! I have pics but not sure how to upload.

2. kull1337

kull1337 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You need to get that chick and dip it's beak into water several times an hour, and let it swallow. It may be dehydrated. How hot is it under your heat lamp with a thermometer on the floor? Check the chick's vent where it poops to make sure that it doesn't have dried droppings there, and keep it cleaned off. Shipping stress can cause chicks to become dehydrated, suffer from pasty butt. Add electrolytes such as SaveAChick to your chick's water for a couple of days and make sure they are drinking.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG]Welcome To BYC

What is the temperature in your brooder - is the whole brooder heated or just one spot?
    Check your little one to see if she has a clear vent (no poop clinging to or blocking her vent). It's possible she could be too hot or she has not been drinking and is dehydrated. Offer her some poultry vitamins or electrolytes to see if dehydration is the problem.

Is she peeping?

5. kull1337

kull1337 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Hi thanks for the welcome! The brooder was alittle warm, sitting at 105 directly under the light, so i moved it up higher. They all seemed happy and were spread out around the box sleeping. Her vent is clear, and i dipped all their beaks when i got them yesterday but dehydration sounds very possible. I just dipped her beak a few times and she swallowed the water. She stays close to under the light but maybe being ao dehydrated she isnt sure where to go and just making things worse... i noticed a couple times she had her beak open panting while laying down. She does peep but only when picked up.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is she doing?

7. kull1337

kull1337 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    She didnt make it thru the night. I forgot to mention, along with the 5 i got from thr feed store, i have 7 of my own chicks i hatched on the same day j received them all together. Everyone is happy besides the feed store chicks, which another is looking about the same as the dead chick did yesterday. I was going to head to town today and grab some corid.

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Getting some Corid is a very good idea.

Hopefully this will help, keep us posted.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid is used only for coccidiosis, and that is not a problem right at first, but can occur after they are 3 weeks and older. Get SaveAChick electrolytes with vitamins or another brand such as Vitamins With Lactobacillus by Rooster Booster to put in the water. Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell are other brands that you can give directly by mouth--1 ml orally daily. Water is very important. Check for pasty butt daily. It doesn't hurt to keep some Corid around in case it is needed later, since it can be out of stock during spring months. It's just pricey, and it can vary greatly from different stores.

10. kull1337

kull1337 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    All chicks are looking much better, yesterday i got the electrolytes and prebiotics, then i soft boiled an egg, mashed up the yolk and mixed with the boosted water and force fed with a syringe till her crop was full. Only had to do that twice about 4 hours apart and now shes eating and drinking normally. I think they must have spent too many days in shipping... would have been nice to know they didn't come in over night and were delayed and might need some extra care..

Thank you all so much for the help and advice it sucks i lost the one but I'm very happy i could save the others :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by