Lethargic chick

tlmancuso

Chirping
Jun 30, 2016
One if my 6 week old pullets is acting weak and lethargic. She and her sisters free range with their mom and have been acting normal. This afternoon I noticed that she is constantly laying down and separated from the flock. She is eating and drinking. She's usually really hard to catch, but now I can just walk over and pick her up. I'm really worried for her.

Is she showing any signs of paralysis anywhere? Drooping wing or twisted neck or limping? Any nasal discharge or diarhea? You could start by giving her some Sav a Chick, you can get that at feed stores and it's not expensive. If she isnt able to stay with her mother and siblings, it would be best to put her in a hospital cage or pen where she can be warm and safe. Normally if it's a situation where it's a sick baby and she is still with mom, I personally would be reluctant to separate her from her family, because obviously it is very stressful for the baby and her mother too, but if she can't keep up then they will eventually reject her anyway. and you will probably have to eventually keep her in a hospital pen so that she can recover. Try giving her the Sav a Chick and see if it helps, but don't waste any time starting her on it, because if they start acting like that, they are very sick.

She's able to get in her feed bowl, but lays down to eat. Her head is up and she's alert. No nasil discharge. She's using her wing for balance. She seems tired and uneasy on her legs. She walks around and then plops down like she's tired. I'm worried about Marick's disease. I had a pullet display signs of Mareck's last year and I eventually had to put her down. I'll see what they have at our feed store as far as supplements when they open tomorrow and I'll isolate her as well. She's used to living with her mommy so I'm worried that she'll get worse if she's seperated.

Could bad feed cause this kind of issue? I know mine got into some bad feed yesterday, but all seemed okay until this one got sick this afternoon. I'm very sorry about your ducks. It's heartbreaking.

Thank you for your sympathy. I've raised babies on the same feed and never had a problem. They go through it fast too so it's not sitting around. There was some stagnant water that collected near them so I don't know if that has something to do with it. The birds looked otherwise healthy. They just wouldn't stand or walk. Held themselves upright and wouldn't eat unless I put the food the the water bowl. Heart rates seems slow but no obvious respiratory issues. Very watery black stool
Mixed with some white was observed.

Marek's is a definite possibility. You can check out the thread about Hypericum Perforatum, but if you do that, use the HP, not just St john's wart, and follow the instructions from the original poster.

My husband spread rotting chicken food mixed with rock out in a place in our yard to dry out, but mom and chicks got into it. It smells like sewage. She came down with the symptoms less than 24 hours after eating the rotting feed. She's pretty sick today. Head down, eyes closed, won't stand and eating very little. I've been giving her molasses, but she's not pooped yet so I'm wondering if her system has shut down. I'm trying to decide if I should continue to try to help her or if it would be kinder to cull her

I don't know what you mean by bad feed, but yes, it could.

Back
Top Bottom