Lethargic chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Svoorhees, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Svoorhees

Svoorhees Hatching

Jun 24, 2018
    I am brand new to the arena of chickens! I have recently bought a variety of chickens and they have been doing great. Yesterday one of my broiler hens stopped moving around and just laid in the yard. I tried to shoo her to get her to move and nothing. Today its the same, she seems alert, but refuses to move. I moved her over to the feeder and she eating. The other chickens are fine. Not sure what's up? She is about 8 weeks old and as a broiler is pretty big. I'm in Wyoming at high altitude and we don't really have issues with bugs. They were on medicated feed until about a week ago. Any ideas or suggestions?

True Patriot likes this.

2. True Patriot

True Patriot Songster

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    What breed? Is she drinking? What feed are they on? Is her poop normal? Have you checked her crop? Legs/feet? Comb? Vent? It could be nothing to worry about. Keep an eye on her, and pics of her and her poop will help others with a diagnosis. Sometimes it's easier to see. Best of luck:fl

Svoorhees likes this.
  3. Svoorhees

Svoorhees Hatching

Jun 24, 2018
    Haven't seen her poop, she is Cornish Rock Cross, one of my "meat" chicks. I just switched to a heavier protein feed for Cornish hens, my layers are on an organic laying feed. Still too young to be molting or broody, legs seem fine, just won't support her. Crop is not distended. These meat breeds eat non-stop and their crops are always full. I'll keep my eye out for her poop. Thanks

True Patriot likes this.
  4. True Patriot

True Patriot Songster

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    And :welcome
    There is a wealth of knowledge here. Look around the illness/injury forum, good information there. Glad you decided to join the flock:frow

5. True Patriot

True Patriot Songster

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    I'm not that familiar with Cornish X's. But that sounds about right. For now I'd monitor and make sure she's hydrated. As long as her condition doesn't get worse I don't see why her date with the oven won't work out.

Svoorhees likes this.
  6. Svoorhees

Svoorhees Hatching

Jun 24, 2018
    So the sick hen is still sick, but one of the other hens went belly up. Someone in the area said that they could be fly struck. Same advice though, monitor and keep hydrated. Also was told to give them yogurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by