Lethargic chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mbrady71, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Mbrady71

Mbrady71 Chirping

Mar 25, 2019
    I had lost a little one last night. I noticed I the morning he wasn't as peppy, throughout the day it Became worse. I gave ACV with his water and I held him to warm him. The birds are on a medicated feed. No one has any symptoms. I seperated him for The night kept him in the bathroom with the heater on to stay warm. He looked as tho he tried to get up to eat. Was dead by the food. Do I need to protect the other birds? Very suddenly came on.
    Thank you

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    Do you have photos of your brooder set-up?
    How old are the chicks?
    What source of heat do you provide - how warm is it?

3. Mbrady71

Mbrady71 Chirping

Mar 25, 2019
    They are kept in a room that is 73 degrees and they are in totes with pine shavings. We are using light method for additional heat.,varied ages. Hens are few days to few weeks, 6 Cornish I think 2 weeks their feathers are coming in they look a bit haggard right now in the growing cycle. They are very warm ad doing well. They are separated in a different tote. The hens huddle the older hens but wings over younger hens very mothering already. The move around good also. Everyone seems happy. That was just a sudden thing i noticed earlier in the day the chick seemed extra sleepy then it progressed.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry!

Hopefully the others will continue to do well.
    For little ones that are just a week old or so, they need one spot in the brooder that is around 90F. Dropping the temperature about 5F each week. Of course behavior is a good indicator that chicks are comfortable as well. If they are all huddling under the heat source or each other a lot, then too cold, if they avoid heat all together, they are too hot.
    Since they are moving around good, then you are probably fine.

Unfortunately some chicks are very weak at hatch and fail to thrive, it's sad but sometimes it happens for one reason or another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: