Lethargic chick

Cholesterol man

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2021
I have 3 chicks which are 8 weeks old. But one of my chick is very lethargic but others are active. I have noticed this in today morning when it's raining. Temparature outside is 24° celsius . Symptoms are - lethargic, dark comb than usual, eyes closed and standing, ruffled feathers etc.I have tried touching it but it's not working. Please help!

Hello! Sorry to hear about your baby :( . Is he/she pooping at all? How does his/her crop feel? Is it empty or does it feel full of air or water? The first concern for lethargic chicks is coccidiosis (which you can treat by adding Corid (amprolium) to their water source). I was able to purchase it on Amazon, but any farm supply type store should carry it.

If the crop is full (squishy or seems to be full of air), your chick may have a blockage that is preventing food to get through and causing a yeast infection (sour crop). If it’s sour crop, you can syringe feed your baby some water, as well as NutriDrench to get him/her nutrients. I had this happen to my chick and I also gave her some olive oil (with an eye dropper) a few times a day and massaged her crop to try to work out the blockage. Later I gave her some Monistat cream (just a tiny bit I put on my finger and swiped in her mouth) to fight the yeast infection. I also offered her some chick grit and scrambled eggs after withholding solid food for a few days (I just gave her water and NutriDrench and maybe some hard boiled egg yolk that was watered down). She’s now full grown and healthy. Anyway, do check for these symptoms first and go from there. Hope he/she gets better soon!

Thanks, as you suggested, I have checked the symptoms. One of my chickens are pooping watery, sticky poop. But it's crop seems normal. It's end of the day here but it's crop is still empty. Can i hand feed them?

Last edited:
I would get some Corid or amprollium right away and put it in your water. Dosage is 10 ml or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If you get the powder, dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon. Until you get that, try to get the chick to drink a little water from a lid or cup. Plain yogurt or buttermilk would also be good.

Sulfa antibiotics and toltrazuril are also used to treat coccidiosis. Where are younlocated?

I can't buy corid because I am in india. As you know india has no medical supplies for chicks available for people. As for my chick, it is so weak that it can't hold it's wings as it drops and it's eye lid are so weak that it closes. It can't even eat, drink or run. My chick is dying.

If you can’t get Corid, or any medication for the baby, just do your best to keep it hydrated (use a syringe or eyedropper). @Eggcessive is very knowledgeable, so try what they suggested. Just keep the baby warm and as comfortable as possible. That‘s all you can really do, unfortunately :(.

I can't buy corid because I am in india. As you know india has no medical supplies for chicks available for people. As for my chick, it is so weak that it can't hold it's wings as it drops and it's eye lid are so weak that it closes. It can't even eat, drink or run. My chick is dying.
@Saaniya is in India and may be helpful with suggestions of where to get medicine. Amprollium is sometimes called other things in other countries. Coxoid is one. Sulfa antibiotics may also be available. Sulfamethazine or sulfadimethoxine are some that I recognize. To prevent coccidiosis, it is good to keep all bedding stirred and very dry. Keep feeders and waterers at shoulder height of the chicks, so that they don’t poop in it.

@Saaniya is in India and may be helpful with suggestions of where to get medicine. Amprollium is sometimes called other things in other countries. Coxoid is one. Sulfa antibiotics may also be available. Sulfamethazine or sulfadimethoxine are some that I recognize. To prevent coccidiosis, it is good to keep all bedding stirred and very dry. Keep feeders and waterers at shoulder height of the chicks, so that they don’t poop in it.
Corid is available in India but in big bags like 5 kg for farms but u can treat it with sulfamethaoxizole or Sulfadiazine veterinary suspension Successfully both available and all Veterinary Medicine easily available in India

Back
Top Bottom