Lethargic chick?

flytpm

Songster
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
Cookeville,TN
Just got some chicks yesterday and I've noticed that a 4 wk old Delaware acts lethargic, her eyes are partially closed alot and one of the 6 chicks has watery poop ( my guess is its her ). What does this sound like?

Sounds like it could be cocci. Does she appear hunched up and "chilled" looking? I would keep her isolated and warm until you figure out what is up. Keep a close eye on her poo for any sign of blood.

Sounds like Coccidiosis to me as well. You need to put them on Sulmet or another cocci treatment ASAP. Cocci can be lethal to chicks if not treated. Hope this helps.
smile.png

Thank you very much, I researched the cocci you mentioned and that appears to be the problem. I'm so disappointed with this breeder. First he brings me a RIR with no feathers on her back which he says he didn't see when he caught her, that it was from other chicks climbing over her to feed and then I find out the little Delaware that looked lethargic probably has cocci. Wish I had bought day old chicks from a hatchery now but I just wasn't set up for brooder and stuff plus the shipping was outrageous. I'll head to the TSC tomorrow and try to head this off before I lose any of them. I really appreciate you guys on BYC as always.
sad.png

I started the sick chick on Sulmet Monday morning for cocci but it doesn't look like she'll make it thru the night. I've been treating the other 5 too, so far no symptoms. Is there anything I need to do since they were in the same coop with same waterer and feeder?

I had to hand feed mine the Sulmet water about every 15-30 minutes and I stayed up with her most of the night. If it is Cocci, hand feeding her the water may be ideal since she's probably too weak to drink on her own. Hopefully, she'll make it. I am so sorry!
sad.png

I wish to tell you all that it is a good thing when you have chicks weak with coccidiosis to get them to eat the medicated wet mash
for one chick
1 tbsp of dry crumbles
2 tbsp of plain water to which add 1/2 tsp of the sulmet
if that is what you use

I prefer amproylium and corid is very good
you make the corid or amproylium wet mash the same

and at same time use the medicated water also

Most chickens will eat the medicated wet mash and get the medicine into their gut
where as they only frink and sulmet is so bitter they will stand and die first

it is good to put some jello in the drinking water as it colors it and sweetens the sulmet water

hopefully you can get some medicated wet mash down the sick chicks

you can enail me if needing more help

Back
Top Bottom