Lethargic chick...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deuce11705, Aug 4, 2010.

1. deuce11705

deuce11705 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Jacksonville
    We just bought 20 chicks from 2-7 days old. One of the older ones, an Ameracauna, is very lethargic. It usually just stays in one place with its eyes closed. When you pick it up it will open its eyes, but if you hold it still, will appear to go back to sleep. All of the chicks were very active/fine acting when we picked them out at the breeders. I have not noticed it eat or drink anything since bringing it home. There is no sign of nasal drainage and the vent looks clear. Is there some way to entice this chick to move/eat/drink? Some kind of vitamin or something we might be able to give it? Is this chick a lost cause? (I hope not cause it's one of my favorites). We are new chick parents. These are our first chicks. Any info would be helpful!

2. Lynxmomma

Lynxmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    sorry going thru that now again. [​IMG] sorry it sucks you have to wait it out and see you can try to get her to drink but dont force her though. Sometimes we lose chicks no matter what we try sorry I couldnt be better help. I'm here if you need to talk to someone it can be a hard time when chicks decided to just up and quit. I had two now and one more. And the second bunch one died.. [​IMG]

3. deuce11705

deuce11705 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Thank you, Lynxmomma, for the support. Unfortunately, the chick died just before 3pm. I was there when it took its last breath, so it wasn't all alone... not that it could be with 19 others running around it... but alas. Our first casualty. [​IMG]

4. Lynxmomma

Lynxmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Aww sorry deuce [​IMG] Im sorry that happened.. You okay??? My daughter wants to say sorry to she six . I was going to suggest there are vitamins you can get at your local feed store I dont remember the name off hand but just ask them or tell them say I need it for my other chicks, its helps them. gives them that pep. Sorry hope no more . Ill be keeping my fingers crossed for ya. Im keeping mine crossed too. I dont think the little ones gonna make it thru the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by