Lethargic chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kaitie09, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    we just picked up 3, 2 day old chicks yesterday for our broody. Well, she did not accept them so we put them under a heat lamp last night. This morning everything was fine, they were all running around and peeping fine. Just went in to check on them about an hour ago, and the little black one is very lethargic. He/she is just laying there and when you pick her up, she just lays there and closes her eyes. We gave her a little sugar water that she was drinking, and we moved them away from the heat lamp a little more in case that was the problem. She will stand on her own, but she will stand there with her eyes closed and her head and wings dropped. Her breathing is slower than the others too. She hasn't peeped at all since this morning and separates herself from the other two. She will peck at some things, and she took off when she got scared, but besides that she just either lays or stands in one spot, or just walks around very slowly.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    That doesn't sound too good [​IMG]. I've had two pass away from illness, and I could always tell they were on their way out when they started lagging behind, stood with their eyes closed, and were generally lethargic. Sometimes they just don't make it. You can try giving it some poly vi sol w/o iron and some scrambled egg. Keep it warm, and really that's all you can do.

3. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I have a feeling she is going too, it just sucks to watch it happening. I have had about 40 chicks in 8 years and have never lost one, so I really don't know major signs when something is wrong. Her poo has been fine all day, she is just lethargic.

4. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Yup, same with mine. Everything was normal except for lethargy and kind of being "spacy". She stopped feathering out too. I handled her last night and found her this morning away from mama and the nest in a sleeping position, I think she knew she wasn't going to make it. She had the worst symptoms at one point, but was sounding fine yesterday. I guess it just took all of her energy [​IMG]

Good luck on your baby. Rest, food, water, heat, and vitamins might be all she needs. I would stress them out as little as possible.

5. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    How is your chickie doing?

6. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    She passed away this morning. The other two are doing fine and are healthy though, so I'm pretty positive it was not a disease as they had been together since they were born and she was the only one showing symptoms.

7. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I'm sorry [​IMG]. Definitely keep an eye on the other chicks, as some illnesses take a week to incubate. But at that young sometimes they just don't make it for whatever reason.

Good luck with your other chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by