Lethargic Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kaitie09, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We just picked up 3, 2 day old chicks yesterday for our broody. Well, she did not accept them so we put them under a heat lamp last night. This morning everything was fine, they were all running around and peeping fine. Just went in to check on them about an hour ago, and the little black one is very lethargic. He/she is just laying there and when you pick her up, she just lays there and closes her eyes. We gave her a little sugar water that she was drinking, and we moved them away from the heat lamp a little more in case that was the problem. She will stand on her own, but she will stand there with her eyes closed and her head and wings dropped. Her breathing is slower than the others too. She hasn't peeped at all since this morning and separates herself from the other two. She will peck at some things, and she took off when she got scared, but besides that she just either lays or stands in one spot, or just walks around very slowly.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am sorry to hear about your little baby. Is she eating and drinking on her own? Is she pooing? Try to get her to eat something. Hand feed her chick food or even some hard boiled egg yolk. If you have to, dip her beak in the water till she starts drinking on her own.

Make sure it is not too warm or too cold in the brooder for her. I hope she is ok. I don't know what else to tell you. [​IMG]

3. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    She will peck at her food, and only eat a crumble or two. She will drink when we stick her head in the water. Her poo is fine though. We have half the brooder under the heat lamp, and then there is a barrier with a cut out, and the other half is all shaded and has their food and water. I have seen them all go in and out of the heat and shade all day, so I know they can move if they get too hot. I have tried giver her some hard boiled egg and she will not eat it(the other two went crazy over it).

I'm going to hope for the best, but expect the worst.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is possible that the broody could have injured her. If she has internal injuries it can't be good. But maybe she needs some rest just to heal.

I hope your baby is ok [​IMG]

5. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Really the broody wasn't with them long enough to do anything. We put them in about 11pm when she was so zonked out that she did not even move, and went out at dawn before she even woke up. She just got up, looked at them, and walked over to get some food and water. It was like she did not even know they were in there because when she walked back to them after about 10 min, she freaked out, puffed up, screamed, and pecked one of the wheaten ones for about a second. We immediately took all of them out. The black one was in the corner drinking at the time this was all going down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by