1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic chicken, 1.5 years old, possibly molting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pallinore, Nov 11, 2013.

1. pallinore

pallinore Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Farmington, UT
    She just seems depressed. Just stands there. Is drinking, not sure if she is eating. Started Saturday, I noticed her walking to the coop at night very slowly. Just stood around all day Sunday. Was still in the coop, in a nesting box this morning. Not broody.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Ameracauna, 1.5YO, weight seems normal.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Listless, lethargic. Standing around all spaced out. An bit fluffed out, head pulled in, but she does that when it's cold. Tail not drooping. Not straining like she's egg bound. Drinking, not sure she is eating. Offered her some yogurt and she was not interested. I examined her and she would usually shy away but she barely reacted.

Everything else seems good - stool, eyes, lungs, crop mostly empty. Comb maybe lighter than usual? Not very noticeable. Has been laying, nothing for 2 days, not that unusual.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    2 days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No.
    I did just add 2 new chickens. They were separated for one week, but only by chicken wire. They seem very healthy and we harvested some of their sisters and they looked very normal inside. It was been 1 week between bringing them home and my chicken acting sick.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    New chickens?? ACK! bad move. She may be molting since she has pretty new feathers on her rump where she has only ever had broken off feathers. She isn't patchy though.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Drinking, not sure if she is eating. Offered her yogurt and she wasn't interested.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Normal except it was stuck all down her feathers. Maybe a small brownish mocousy smear, but not very noticeable. Vent was clean, a bit pale?

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Offered yogurt and electrolyte water. She just seems tired, but is standing staring. Other chickens are not avoiding her. Her original 2 sisters seem to want to hang out with her.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Treat myself. Will cull if it's catching.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    She's the one in my profile picture - all the way to the right. That was taken months ago, but funny cause that's how she was standing yesterday. Head pulled in and fluffed up, but only some of the time.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Fairly large hen house, 2 large roosts, more than enough room for everyone. Pine shavings bedding. 6x12 foot dog run, but they are free ranged everyday. Been cleaning the poop out every week. Don't see any unusual droppings in there.

I think I may just be worrying over a molt? Sometimes I feel like just sitting around... This is my first time having chickens since childhood. Don't know how they act while molting. She just seems spaced out and tired, but is standing instead of lying down. My banty cochin just molted and we didn't even notice - until we noticed her neck feathers were mostly pins and her feet were suddenly fabulously feathered!
    Please let me know what I should do to diagnose. I'll get some mealworms to try to give her a boost. They are in bed before I get home, I can check her in the mornings and go home early if needed. I can separate her in a portable run, but there is no henhouse, just a nesting box she could sleep in.
    Thank you!

2. pallinore

Nov 4, 2013
    Farmington, UT
    I checked her out when I got home. Seems more alert but not well enough to not sit in her poop. I listened to her lungs and didn't hear anything. When I put her down she sorta gurgled and then coughed one wetly. I have her separated now, but fear the infection, whatever it is, will spread since she spent the entire day in the hen house. She does have watery diarrhea, but it was brown not green. Her crop is about half full and I saw her eat.
    Any ideas what it is?

3. pallinore

Nov 4, 2013
    Farmington, UT
    [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think your chicken may have cocidiosis from the new hens bringing in a new strain that she is not immune to. I would start her on Corid (amprollium) 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid in 1 gallon of water for 5 days. Treat all of the birds. Afte treatment give vitamins and probiotics in their water for a week.

5. pallinore

Nov 4, 2013
    Farmington, UT
    She laid an egg and while it looks normal, normal shell, the white was thin. I have seen no blood in her poop, or any in the hen house, but I know that's not always present with cocci. The new chickens were for about a mile away and were separated until the day before this hen got sick. At this point I'd like if it were cocci, which I can treat, because I'm leaning towards Infectious Bronchitis. Which is chronic? She has no discharge from eyes or nose, but there is definitely something in her lungs. Would it hurt to treat for cocci anyway?
    Thank you

6. pallinore

Nov 4, 2013
    Farmington, UT
    She seems so much better! Even put in a great effort to clean herself up, saving me the task. I will continue to scrutinize poops and the flock's health. And leave her in quarantine for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by