Lethargic Chicken Can't Figure Out Why - Help Needed

littlenorthfarm

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2022
So one of my ISA Browns just started laying about 2-3 weeks ago now. She was hatched out March 30th, 2022 (about 5 months old now) and weighs about 3-5 pounds. Suddenly at the beginning of this week (Monday September 3rd) she became extremely lethargic. To explain how lethargic, my chickens free range and have learned to run the other way when they hear my car turn on or see it move. On Monday, as I was leaving all of the chickens scattered when I turned my car on except this one who still sat underneath my car. I ran her out from under it and went on my way, when I got back, she was laid down where my car was and did not move like the other chickens when I pulled in. If I tried to approach her though, she still got up and ran from me. I brought her in Monday and gave her a full check to see what was wrong. Her crop was empty, no sneezing, I monitored her poop and it was normal, nothing broken, no squishy abdomen, eating and drinking still, and walking normally when she would walk. I then gloved up and tried to feel for an egg and felt nothing. I decided to go ahead and try to treat for for being egg bound anyway. I separated her out, gave her extra calcium, and warm epsom salt baths. No egg was produced but she did enjoy pooping in the baths. On Wednesday, I checked her again to see if I could feel an egg again and still nothing. She was laying daily last week and now she has halted all laying and is not molting. She is the only chicken like this and I have convinced myself that it has to do with her being the only new layer at the moment. I read about Egg Yolk Peritonitis but she does not have a squishy belly or walking any different. I do have antibiotics I can give but I haven't been sure what to us or if she needs them since I can't figure out what exactly is wrong. Any help on figuring out what this may be and to do or if I should just go ahead and try certain antibiotics to see if it helps?

Your doing well on treating her, keep treating her for being egg bound because she may be.
Check her over for lice or mites, they're mostly around the vent area.
Check her crop again in the morning to make sure its emptying.
Is there any blood in her droppings?
Could you get a picture of her?

Did you check her mites or lice? I know that they can cause lethargy in chickens. You would see them on the shaft of the feather towards the skin. Usually gray in color and clustered.

71E73E13-D88B-4F21-B84C-1F133B4940C1.jpeg

Here is a photo of her and how she’s acting the majority of the time. For context, all of the other chickens are out foraging right now and all she does is roost and sleep. I’ve checked for mites as well and haven’t seen any. I believe she may be eating less just because every time I have felt her crop there hasn’t been much if anything. No blood in droppings it’s actually very normal poop (kind of hoping it wouldn’t be because it would at least give me a direction). Her vent is also very clean. That’s why this has stumped me on what to do.

View attachment 3255286
Here is a photo of her and how she’s acting the majority of the time. For context, all of the other chickens are out foraging right now and all she does is roost and sleep. I’ve checked for mites as well and haven’t seen any. I believe she may be eating less just because every time I have felt her crop there hasn’t been much if anything. No blood in droppings it’s actually very normal poop (kind of hoping it wouldn’t be because it would at least give me a direction). Her vent is also very clean. That’s why this has stumped me on what to do.
Well she doesn't look too sick in the picture, which is good.
Like I said, keep treating her for being egg bound, the egg could just be farther up. Give her calcium citrate with D3 once a day along with the baths.
I would also treat for coccidiosis using Corid, just incase even though there is no blood in her droppings.

Is it hot where you are? I know my whole crew gets kinda lazy in the heat. She looks pretty good. Perhaps a sugar water or electrolytes if you have them or you haven't done so already. Sounds like you've hit every angle already.

Well she doesn't look too sick in the picture, which is good.
Like I said, keep treating her for being egg bound, the egg could just be farther up. Give her calcium citrate with D3 once a day along with the baths.
I would also treat for coccidiosis using Corid, just incase even though there is no blood in her droppings.
X2

Is it hot where you are? I know my whole crew gets kinda lazy in the heat. She looks pretty good. Perhaps a sugar water or electrolytes if you have them or you haven't done so already. Sounds like you've hit every angle already.
Good question, should have thought of that. What is the weather where you are @littlenorthfarm?

Her tail position is down, and that may be from an egg issue, infection, or just feeling bad. Her crop looks full in the picture. Can you feel it, and see if it is full and firm or puffy soft? Pictures of droppings might be helpful if any start looking different. Can you offer some scrambled egg bits, and I add a little water to any food to get more fluids into them. I would be tempted to give her calcium citrate with vitamin D3 to see if she is having trouble passing an egg. Also if you have amoxicillin, you could give her 125-250 mg twice a day orally.

I’m in Alabama. This past week it’s actually been much cooler than usual so I don’t think it’s heat (that and this is my only one acting this way). About two weeks ago we did have a hen die of acute sepsis (thankfully not this case otherwise she would be gone already) but they tested for coccidiose and it came back negative. I’ve been considering treating her anyway but I don’t know if it would be more beneficial to do that or an antibiotic. It won’t let me attach the video but usually her eyes are closed and she’s not interested in much. I will say it isn’t that bad and I’ve expected it to get worse over the past 6 days but it’s pretty much stayed the same. I’m definitely going to pick up some calcium citrate and D3 to add in with the baths and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom