Lethargic chicken getting pecked by flock -- UPDATE...Impacted Crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SunsetChicks, Jul 30, 2011.

1. SunsetChicks

SunsetChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2008
    My golden wyandotte has been extremely lethargic today--cowering in the corner of the coop or the run. Very uncharacteristic behavior. She's nearly 3 years old. I've been watching her with concern. As she moved out of the coop to the run, another chicken (a Welsummer) pecked her hard on top of her head, drawing a tiny bit of blood at the back of her comb. The Wyandotte ran into the corner and the others are now leaving her alone (3 in flock).

Should I pull her out of the coop until she's feeling better (IF she'll ever feel better). Just let them work it out? Given her behavior, I fear she's sick and may be on her last days.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

When others start attacking, they usually know something is wrong, from my experience. At her age, could be a reproductive malfunction like internal laying. I've lost all my hatchery Wyandottes to that, unfortunately. Yours is at the right age for it. If they are attacking her, you may have no choice but to pull her out and keep her where you can observe her and give her special treatment for a bit.

3. SunsetChicks

SunsetChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2008
    So I built a temporary coop and picket up the Wyandotte and immediately discovered that her butt (crop?) was pasted with poop. I washed with water and wiped down and it seems clean now. I gave her food and water in the temp coop, but she's still very lethargic and isn't eating and drinking. Anything else to do?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Her crop is in the chest area, not the butt. It's where the food goes first when they eat. Have you felt her crop? Is there food in it, in spite of her not eating? If so, could be it has quit working and she is basically starving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by