Lethargic Chicken- going on 1 week

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Akoharski4, May 21, 2019.

1. Akoharski4

Akoharski4 In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2019
    Hello all,
    My (approximately 3 year old) hen, Olive, has been not quite herself for going on 6 days now. Not eating much of anything, not drinking much, hasn’t laid an egg in almost 2 weeks, and very lethargic. She is very slow moving and not her usual talkative self. She stands with her tail bent down and her wings sort of hunched. Also forgot to add she and others have had some poopy butts (that have since been cleaned).* Barely pecks at anything when she’s out free ranging with the other girls. I actually thought she was going to die a couple days back because she was so thin. I sat and fed her/watered her by syringe and it seemed to bring her energy back only slightly.
    She is the SECOND chicken in our group to show signs of illness in the past 2 weeks. Our first chicken Henrietta acted ill (same symptoms) for 3 days then was back to herself. When Henrietta started acting ill, we gave the entire flock the recommended doses of safeguard dewormer and all were treated with permethrin for mites.

[A little back story: We had a broody hen “adopt” a group of 8 chicks about 5 weeks back. They have been fully integrated with our flock for about 3 weeks. The only exception being they’re still sleeping in a separate coop.]

A few days after our first chicken got better, this chicken (olive) got ill. I then decided maybe it was Coccidia bc of the chicks (although none of our chicks are exhibiting any signs of illness). So we dosed all hens/chicks with corid 9.6% 1tsp per 1 gallon of water. I also gave olive a couple drops of corid straight into her beak along with some water. We’re on day 4 and our poor girl still isn’t doing well. Although she’s eaten a bit here and there. I read that if it’s Coccidia, that she’d be back to herself within 24 hours. I’m concerned it’s something different all together and I’m hoping someone can shine some light on this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ashley

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    So sorry Olive is feeling so unwell. Was it liquid or powdered Corid you used? Also, what does Olive's poop look like? A photo would be helpful.

Have you checked Olive's crop? You need to feel it first thing in the morning before she is allowed anything to eat or drink. If it's full, you may have a hen with a crop disorder.

3. Akoharski4

Apr 21, 2019

Thank you for you’re response. It was liquid corid. Olive had some diarrhea originally, but since she hasn’t been eating much it’s turned very light green and liquidy. I saw in another thread that was from her lack of food intake and essentially she was starving.

Her crop has been pretty much empty for the past few days with the exception of when I fed her by syringe.

Yesterday was the first day she actually was slowly somewhat free ranging rather than just standing under a bush.

4. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The mixing proportions of liquid Corid is two teaspoons per gallon of water, so you've been giving a weakened dose all week.

I recommend you give her a few days off with special feeding of yogurt, boiled egg, raw veggies, maybe dampened feed to give her body a boost, then repeat the Corid with the higher mixing ratio.

5. Akoharski4

Apr 21, 2019
    Really? Darn. I used this guide I found under BYC for dosing instructions.

After how many days of a break should I resume the higher dose? And for how many days should I give it? Thanks again.

Attached Files:

6. Akoharski4

Apr 21, 2019
    Our chicken ended up passing late last night after 11 days of this mystery illness. I’m suspecting something respiratory after endless researching on this forum. Another one of our hens came down with the same symptoms now. Can someone please advise on how to send her in for testing with my state lab? I’m located in NJ.

DobieLover likes this.
  7. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry you lost her. :hugs
    Looks like you need to take her to Trenton.
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

8. Akoharski4

Apr 21, 2019
    Thank you. I’m assuming it’s best I refrigerate her? Of course it’s the holiday weekend so I’m assuming this will have to wait until Tuesday...

DobieLover likes this.
  9. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Yes, you need to refrigerate her body. It is unfortunate that it's a holiday weekend.
    Please post back with the necropsy findings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: