Lethargic Chicken having seizures?

EmmaRainboe

🙄🤚💙Duckie💜😩🤚
Jul 30, 2020
Washington
A dear friend of mine has a chicken named Emma, who has been struggling.

Last Wednesday she found her on her back, she was a bit wobbly, but that was it. She has gone down hill extremely fast since.

The past 2-3 days she has been extremely bad. Barely eating/drinking, is having a hard time walking, kinda holds herself up with her wings, and repeatedly falls over. Interestingly, she always falls to the right.

Today she has had two “seizures” where she flaps about then ends up on her back.

The first one lasted around 5 seconds, then the second was like 10-15.

Her keel is extremely thin. She has lost lots of weight.

@Wyorp Rock @casportpony @Eggcessive

Last edited:
@azygous
Does she feed a complete and balanced feed? How old is the bird? What does her poop look like? Is her crop functioning? Has she checked the bird over for lice and/or mites, well after dark? Has she administer dewormer? I am just asking some basic questions to help get as much information here as possible for the experts whenever they come on. Does she have access to a vet? Any other birds have any signs of illness? Any chance she could have gotten into something toxic?

@azygous
Does she feed a complete and balanced feed? How old is the bird? What does her poop look like? Is her crop functioning? Has she checked the bird over for lice and/or mites, well after dark? Has she administer dewormer? I am just asking some basic questions to help get as much information here as possible for the experts whenever they come on. Does she have access to a vet? Any other birds have any signs of illness? Any chance she could have gotten into something toxic?
Full balanced feed, and she’s tried to get her to eat some chick food. She did have mites when she was first found, but not anymore. She was treated with permetherin. The few poops she’s seen have been normal. She has not been dewormed, but she can try that if we feel that is needed.She thinks she is around two.

Here is what she has said also

“I dont think she could have gotten into anything toxic, they dont free range. no other birds are showing signs of illness. I honestly couldnt say if her crop is functioning, since its been empty”

A dear friend of mine has a chicken named Emma, who has been struggling.

Last Wednesday she found her on her back, she was a bit wobbly, but that was it. She has gone down hill extremely fast since.

The past 2-3 days she has been extremely bad. Barely eating/drinking, is having a hard time walking, kinda holds herself up with her wings, and repeatedly falls over. Interestingly, she always falls to the right.

Today she has had two “seizures” where she flaps about then ends up on her back.

The first one lasted around 5 seconds, then the second was like 10-15.

Her keel is extremely thin. She has lost lots of weight.

@Wyorp Rock @casportpony @Eggcessive
Does she have and open wounds or has she been attacked within the last 6 months? Seizures are usally caused by infection or tumor. Can you feel any bubs on her body or along her back? Other things could cause then but I believe these are the main 2

Does she have and open wounds or has she been attacked within the last 6 months? Seizures are usally caused by infection or tumor. Can you feel any bubs on her body or along her back? Other things could cause then but I believe these are the main 2
She has not been attacked.
She just had another seizure.

Tumor is what I was worried about too.

It is very important that she in not damaged coming out if she makes it. So make sure the ground has decent padding and roost is low incase she falls. Also make sure she is in a dim lighted area that is quiet. Do you have a pic. Is there anything wrong that you can tell. What's her skin look like ?

Back
Top Bottom