Lethargic chicken. Head hanging down. Limberneck possibly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bakerjw, Sep 21, 2011.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    The subject pretty much sums it up.

I went out to the run today to collect eggs and check on the girls and found one in the middle of the run sitting almost like a broody. The girls are a year and a half old and have always been very healthy. No mites or other issues to speak of.

I palpitated the crop and there is food in it however it is not hard so I've ruled out being impacted.
    I also palpitated down near the went and didn't feel any hard areas so I don't suspect that she is egg bound.
    She will walk gently and fold her wings if I spread them for further investigation. There is a feather out of place on one wing but I don't see any evidence of trauma such as from a hawk or other predator.
    Her mouth and nose are all clear. No runny discharges.
    The other 13 birds are all in happy go lucky did he bring us treats mode.

She is in the house in a box out of the way with food and water. No electrolytes or anything yet as I just found her and don't have any on hand.

I did do a search on her head hanging down and hit on limberneck as a possibility.
    Any inputs to what might have put her out of sorts?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Have you seen the color and consistancy of her poop?

3. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Not since she's been indoors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by