Lethargic chicken looks drunk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vincent StLouis, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Vincent StLouis

Vincent StLouis New Egg

Feb 24, 2012
    I am new to chickens, we have three chickens that are free range on big back yard. We live in Northern Cal. it has been a very mild winter. One of the chickens started looking a little different. About 3 days ago I noticed white stuff on back end like she pooped on her self. Yesterday she was lethargic and not with the other chickens, today she is a lot worst. She walks a little but looks drunk falls over sometimes but mostly lays around in one spot. When she is standing her tail is up and head is down I can see her underside seems to be contracting but it seems to be lower then the vent area she seems thin also. Any Idea what could be wrong? We are soaking her in worm water to see if it is a stuck egg. I did insert my finger but I don't feel anything but I don't know how far a egg would be. Any way I think I have covered as much as I can think of. Please help her. Thank you Vincent

2. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    This will be no help, but I've had that happen as well. Just out of the blue. I've researched it to death and the symptom search has always come back to either, eggbound, very wormy, Mareks or New Castle. Never thought it could've been any of these with mine. Put her in a warm place alone with some vitamin water and maybe some cooked egg yolk and cat food, anything high protein. I hope you have good luck with her. Most will tell you , you will never know unless you get a necropsy. Fingers crossed she gets better quick!!!!!

3. Vincent StLouis

Vincent StLouis New Egg

Feb 24, 2012
    Thank you MakNat I have done the same research and found same either, eggbound, very wormy, Mareks or New Castle
    she is inside very wobbly but eating a little. Got some antibiotics. hope she gets better

4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    You are welcome!!! None of those ever made sense with my birds. I know it is irritating. Not to know what exactly you are dealing with. I've only have it happen far a few between, never figured them out and eventually culled them. I forgot, did you check her for mites and lice??? Hopefully this bump will catch someone elses eye. Oxine is a *wonderful* product to keep everything super clean!! Once I started usung that stuff my 'mystery' sicknesses ended! You can search it on here!

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    It may be an idea to check her for mites/lice - the obvious areas are under the wings and around her vent area - if you see anything crawling get her dusted with permethryn and also treat the other chickens and their housing too.

It may also be an idea to get them all wormed just as a precaution.

I hope she improves for you very soon!

Best wishes

Suzie

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

White discharge
    lethargic
    tail up
    contracting vent area
    Falling over

Sounds like eggbound to me but I have no experience with it. Here is a link for you in case that is what it is:

http://www.avianweb.com/eggbinding.html

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-treat-egg-binding-in-chickens.html

"A hen that’s truly egg bound will die if she doesn’t pass the egg, usually within 48 hours." from the second website listed. So you will know soon.

Now you said she seems thin, too. That sounds like worms. Some vets will do a fecal test for worms for a small fee. You might consider this, as if she is deathly ill from something a worming medication might kill her if she doesn't have worms. They are very hard on hens.

I hope you can find the solution and she gets better. I am sorry I don't know what is wrong.

http://www.poultry.msstate.edu/extension/pdf/diseases_poultry_diagnosis_symptoms.pdf
    Here is another link you might find helpful for the future if needed. I don't know if it will help now.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  7. Vincent StLouis

Vincent StLouis New Egg

Feb 24, 2012
    Thank you everyone for the input. She is laying down, but eating and drinking and going poo. Giving her gatorade and food. We soaked her a few times in worm water. Hope she makes it to the morning. We will start worm water again in morning.

8. Vincent StLouis

Vincent StLouis New Egg

Feb 24, 2012
    She made it through the night. Not doing any better. Maybe a little worst. We will see how the day goes. Thanks for all the help

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So sorry to hear that she is no better - you are doing all that anyone can to help her through this - I hope she makes it due to your great efforts to help her!

Suzie
    [​IMG]

10. Vincent StLouis

Vincent StLouis New Egg

Feb 24, 2012
    Sorry it took so long to give an update. She seems to be out of the woods. We are not 100% what was wrong with her because we did so much. WE de-wormed her gave her DE I think that's what it's called it's a white powder that helps get rid of parasites and worms and we gave her bread and cantaloupe mixed with olive oil. But anyway she is back with the other 2 chickens after a week of in the house care. This is our first run at chickens we started in May and after ending up with 5 roosters and one got carried off with a hawk finely we have 3 hens and we got our first egg yesterday this is our short video on the new egg I hope all is well with everyone and thank you all for your concern for our girl and all the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by