Lethargic chicken, not eating, runny poop, injuried

ika

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2021
Hello,

Yesterday I found our Rhode Island Red laying lethargic with a injured comb. Looks like another chicken (we have 6 more) pecked her comb to the point that is bloody and partially purple.

Yesterday, before all of this, I started giving this chicken sunflower seeds (that we give to our cocktail) to see if she could gain so weight. She has been very light since she started molting (currently she’s on the last stages of molting, she’s growing her tail feathers). I also gave some seeds to the other chickens by throwing some in the run.

After bringing our hurt chicken inside we noticed that she was lethargic and was not eating and drinking. Later she ate a little bit and we gave her water (with mother and vitamins) using a syringe. We also noticed that her poop is mainly watery with white and sometimes some red or green spots.

I can’t tell if her crop is completely empty. Although is definitely not full. When without water if feels hard to the touch.

We also gave her Equimax since I was already aware of tape worms in their poop.

This morning she still showing the same symptoms above. No improvement.

Our RIR is currently 3lb 5oz, she’s lighter than the others. She’s not laying. She has been molting for several weeks. The chickens don’t have a history of fighting. All other chickens are healthy. 2 others are in some stage of molting.

At this point I have no idea what could be happening. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you so much for your help!

Thank you for your answer!

I believe she had sour crop before. When that happened a year ago she was drooling. She recovered after a couple of days. I believe she also had fowl dry pox right after that.

I'll check her breath for signs of sour crop.

I have not noticed any bloating. Actually I checked her whole body and haven't noticed anything abnormal with the exception of being skinny (her comb also shrunk when she started molting).

Lotsa protein for the molt, such as yogurt, or meal worms.
Isolate her so she does not get pecked, or spread whatever it is she has. If she has bad breath, try draining her crop, using the inversion method, there are others here including myself who have done this with success. Yeast infections in her crop can be ongoing and abate for a while, then re-emerge later on and eventually become chronic. If you can get her to a vet they can diagnose the illness and prescribe the proper meds that you cannot get over the counter, or at a farm supply.

We also gave her Equimax since I was already aware of tape worms in their poop.

She’s not laying. She has been molting for several weeks.
You see tapeworms in her poop?
Do you need dosing for the Equimax?

Photos of her and her poop would be good.

While sunflower seeds are a nice treat, I'd focus on her eating her normal nutritionally balanced feed. If she's molting, give her extra protein like egg, meat or fish. Poultry Vitamins a couple of times a weeks may help.
Molting birds are often picky eaters, so try offering some wet mash made with buttermilk.

Do check to make sure her crop is emptying by morning.

The worms may be contributing to her lethargy along with the molt, not to mention the weight loss. Once you get rid of those, hopefully she will start to improve.

Thank you for the answers everyone.

Unfortunately, later yesterday she got worse and we rushed to the vet. She started losing control of her neck and balance.

They were not able to figure out right away what was going on as her symptoms could be many things. She stayed there for a broad treatment (antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, food, fluids) but overnight she passed away.

We're broken hearted but we're grateful for those 2 1/2 years that the Lord allowed us to have her.

You see tapeworms in her poop?
Do you need dosing for the Equimax?
Just to clarify this, yes, we saw the tapeworms. We found the dosage here on BYC.

Unfortunately, later yesterday she got worse and we rushed to the vet. She started losing control of her neck and balance.

They were not able to figure out right away what was going on as her symptoms could be many things. She stayed there for a broad treatment (antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, food, fluids) but overnight she passed away.

We're broken hearted but we're grateful for those 2 1/2 years that the Lord allowed us to have her.

Just to clarify this, yes, we saw the tapeworms. We found the dosage here on BYC.
I'm so sorry she didn't make it. :hugs

I'm sorry:hugs

Back
Top Bottom