Lethargic chicken, off food, pale face & comb

JLMP

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2022
Hi
I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help please?

T the end of last month we bought four POL French Maran chickens. All last year's hatch, not sure of exact age.
They are kept in stone building at night on wood shavings and straw, and outside during day on grass with small shelter.
They are mainly fed on mixed poultry corn and layers pellets, but also get black sunflower seeds, linseeds and fruit &veg (cabbage, kale, butternut squash, carrot peelings, melon, apple etc) as well as foraging on grass during day.
One of them has always been smaller than the other three, with very small comb.
At the beginning of this month they seemed to drop a bit of weight and poop seemed a bit runny and we noticed some small bald patches under wing with broken feathers that seemed clumped together with white stuff (possibly lice eggs??)
On 7th April, we treated them all with 4 drops fenbendazole administered orally and 4 drops ivermectin applied topically for any internal / external parasites.
The other three chickens seem to have put weight back on and seem fine, pooping normally, normal behaviour etc although they do still have some bald patches under wing with clumped up broken feathers.
The smaller one however was very lethargic yesterday and lay in a corner by herself a good part of the day. Even when she moved around she seemed to stand alone kind of puffed up with head tucked in. She ate & drank very little all day. We noticed she had a bit of gunk in one eye and it seemed to be sticking closed. The nares on her beak seem to be blocked and this seems to be making it harder for her to breath as her breathing seems more pronounced and she keeps opening her beak whilst breathing. She is not coughing or sneezing and there is no wheezing. Her poop seemed very runny and her face and comb are pale, more pink than red as they should be.
She still has the small bald patches and broken clumped feathers under her wings as well.
We pulled her out from the other chickens yesterday when we noticed her looking unwell. We have her on paper in a cage inside away from the others.
She has improved slightly today - she has eaten some mixed corn and layers pellets and has drank some water. Poop seems to be better (not as runny) and shes not just as listless as she was yesterday. We cleaned her eye, it's still a bit gungy but not as bad as yesterday and seems to be staying open. Nares still blocked, face and comb still pale and breathing still same.
Does anyone know what could be wrong with her and how best to treat her please?
Thank you very much in advance.

I had the same issue with my chicken and figured that if they have lice for a while (and noting how this hen is smaller than the others) The lice could have been taking nutrients and energy from the animal and harmed it. Best thing to do would be to give it nutridrench daily, and maybe rub it down in diamacius earth. (D.E)

Pic of her face which is quite pale and under her wing with broken feathers clumped with white stuff

Attachments

• IMG_20220427_152708_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220427_152708_HDR.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220427_152741_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220427_152741_HDR.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 18
I had the same issue with my chicken and figured that if they have lice for a while (and noting how this hen is smaller than the others) The lice could have been taking nutrients and energy from the animal and harmed it. Best thing to do would be to give it nutridrench daily, and maybe rub it down in diamacius earth. (D.E)
Thanks, I'll get some D.E and try that. What is the nutridrench?

Thanks, I'll get some D.E and try that. What is the nutridrench?
Nutri-Drench is a nutrient-rich supplement formulated to rapidly deliver energy and essential nutrients. it will make your chicken perk up. It has a ton of protein in it and tons of vitamins. It's in liquid form. Some people mix it in the water, but I have learned that a dropper full in the mouth of the chicken will work more effectively.

Back
Top Bottom