Lethargic chicken please help!

Josie670

Chirping
Jun 24, 2018
Oxford, England
My chicken is sleepy and unresponsive, since I have come home from work I have managed to get her to drink LOADS but she has had hardly any food compared to the other girls. I felt her crop and it feels full and squishy but I can't feel any food in there. What can I do? She has taken herself to bed now, all afternoon she has just been standing there sleeping, and letting me pick her up which is not normal behaviour for her. I'm so worried and would like to know what I can do for her tomorrow if she is still ill

sleepy and unresponsive, since I have come home from work I have managed to get her to drink LOADS but she has had hardly any food compared to the other girls. I felt her crop and it feels full and squishy
How hot is it where you are (location)?
How old is your chicken?
If she is of laying age, when was the last time she laid an egg?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to see if it's emptied. If it's still full/squishy the following article will help you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If your weather is extremely hot, she may have been dehydrated. Watch her for a few days to see if she is not drinking or is being kept from food/water by the other chickens.

Hi thank you so much for your advice she has a squished egg stuck inside her I made sure she has plenty of water as it is immensely hot here

Back
Top Bottom