Lethargic Chicken (POOP PICTURE)

Differentiation

Chirping
Oct 1, 2017
My hen is 2 years old and was completely healthy till she started displaying symptoms of lethargy and stopped eating properly. I didnt think much of it till I noticed that last night she didnt go back in the coop with the others. She stood all night. She looks very unwell. She's too weak to move or eat and drink. She has been sitting in the same corner for a few days with her eyes shut. This is the forth day of her behaving like this. Im absoltely terrified because if she doesnt eat and drink she could die. She doesnt smell bad and her crop is quite empty. This is my first flock and I do not know what to do. I havn't had this problem before. I noticed today that her poop was yellow, watery and a bit foamy as displayed in the picture. My other hens are acting normal so far. Does anyone know what may be wrong with her and any solutions???
IMG_0992.JPG

My hen is 2 years old and was completely healthy till she started displaying symptoms of lethargy and stopped eating properly. I didnt think much of it till I noticed that last night she didnt go back in the coop with the others. She stood all night. She looks very unwell. She's too weak to move or eat and drink. She has been sitting in the same corner for a few days with her eyes shut. This is the forth day of her behaving like this. Im absoltely terrified because if she doesnt eat and drink she could die. She doesnt smell bad and her crop is quite empty. This is my first flock and I do not know what to do. I havn't had this problem before. I noticed today that her poop was yellow, watery and a bit foamy as displayed in the picture. My other hens are acting normal so far. Does anyone know what may be wrong with her and any solutions???
I'm sorry about your hen. Have you been helping her drink and eat?

When is the last time she laid an egg?

The poop looks like it has egg in it. Feel her abdomen between her legs below the vent - do you notice any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid?

Do what you can to get her hydrated first, then see if she will eat.

I'm sorry, but from your description it sounds like your hen is not well at all and in a state of decline. If you are not able to get fluids into her and she perks up, then putting her out of her misery may be a kindness.

Often laying hens can have reproductive issues that cause them to go downhill fairly fast. If you do lose her and want to find out the cause - refrigerating and sending the body to your state lab for diagnostics will give you answers.

I'm sorry about your hen. Have you been helping her drink and eat?

When is the last time she laid an egg?

The poop looks like it has egg in it. Feel her abdomen between her legs below the vent - do you notice any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid?

Do what you can to get her hydrated first, then see if she will eat.

I'm sorry, but from your description it sounds like your hen is not well at all and in a state of decline. If you are not able to get fluids into her and she perks up, then putting her out of her misery may be a kindness.

Often laying hens can have reproductive issues that cause them to go downhill fairly fast. If you do lose her and want to find out the cause - refrigerating and sending the body to your state lab for diagnostics will give you answers.
Thank you for responding.

I have tried making her drink tonic dilluted in water through a syringe gently with a few drops but she is refusing to open her beak. I have tried multiple times for a few days. I feel helpless at this point.

Her abdomen feels soft. Not too filled with liquid. But definitely no egg inside. I think she may have laid an egg about two/three days ago.

Im still clinging on to hope that she will wake up all well in the morning. But she doesnt look well at all.

Thank you for responding.

I have tried making her drink tonic dilluted in water through a syringe gently with a few drops but she is refusing to open her beak. I have tried multiple times for a few days. I feel helpless at this point.

Her abdomen feels soft. Not too filled with liquid. But definitely no egg inside. I think she may have laid an egg about two/three days ago.

Im still clinging on to hope that she will wake up all well in the morning. But she doesnt look well at all.
Sometimes you have to gather them up, grab the wattles and pull down to get them to open the beak.

You mention the abdomen is soft - not too filled with liquid - does it feel like there's liquid/fluid in the abdomen at all?

Getting her hydrated would be the first thing to do if she's not had anything to drink in several days. While you have her gathered up, look her over for lice/mites too.
The poop is not normal, so you want to keep watch on that.

Sometimes you have to gather them up, grab the wattles and pull down to get them to open the beak.

You mention the abdomen is soft - not too filled with liquid - does it feel like there's liquid/fluid in the abdomen at all?

Getting her hydrated would be the first thing to do if she's not had anything to drink in several days. While you have her gathered up, look her over for lice/mites too.
The poop is not normal, so you want to keep watch on that.
Thanks for that advice. I managed to hydrate her for a bit.

Her abdomen doesnt feel out of the ordinarily soft. I cant tell if that softness is just how it normally feels like or if it is due to fluid. She does seem to stand in a wide stance and occationally looks under herself as if she is looking at her abdomen. So I asume she does feel discomfort there.

I checked her and the rest of my flock for lice and mites. They are all clear of that

Back
Top Bottom