Lethargic chicken with lump on her back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by J.Peter, Sep 21, 2010.

1. J.Peter

J.Peter New Egg

Apr 20, 2010
    We have an Egyptian Fouymais (sp?) which we added to our flock about 4 weeks ago. yesterday I noticed a strange lump at her hip but she seemed fine. Today she is totally lethargic. She won't hardly open her eyes but she does respond to touch some. I'm afraid even if I took her to the vet she is too far gone, but maybe I am wrong? She's about 18 weeks old and I don't think she has started laying yet.

2. bigj

bigj Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Wellborn
    I just had to put one of my young birds down for similar symptoms... except for the lump that is. I gave her every chance to get better untill she was gasping for breath. Cant allow suffering if theres to be no recovery. Good luck with your girl. Hope she turns it around.

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Maybe she was injured due to her being new in the flock? Maybe she has not been able to eat as well as the others she may have a vitamin Difficiency and needs more B1 and B2 - She sounds like she is Dehydrated. Feed her water with infannt vits and Electrolites througha dropper if you have to she wont do it on her own if she is this weak!!!!

Oesdog - good luck!!!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Agree. Assuming you decide against a vet, of course. If you go the dropper route, do it safely, drop liquids alongside the beak and let her such the fluids in. I would also isolate her in a somewhat dark place to let her rest and not be harassed. She could certainly be in some shock.

Since you can't be sure what is going on, this would give her a chance to recover.

Good luck

5. J.Peter

J.Peter New Egg

Apr 20, 2010
    We're pretty new to chickens and I really don't know anything about disease or too much. I wondered if maybe she was eggbound so we gave her a 20 min warm bath this morning and she definitely perked up a little. I'll see if we can't get her some water with a syringe.

6. ChickenMadness

ChickenMadness Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Framfield
    I don't want to say the word but it could be a tumour [​IMG] Or just a defect she's always had. It it just popped up out of nowhere then I'd say it's likely an injury. Vitamins are a good idea.

You could also try some ACV in the water or Pro biotic yoghurt for a little extra kick.

Egg bound hens tend to show signs of distress, gaping. If she is egg bound then you should be able to feel the formed egg from underneath her.

Hope she's doing ok

7. J.Peter

J.Peter New Egg

Apr 20, 2010
    We tried giving her some water and we had isolated her in a smaller crate with her own food and water but unfortunately she has died. I didn't hold out much hope for her this morning which is why I didn't want to spend money on a visit to the vet. She seemed fine yesterday.

Thank you all for your advise. I'm sure it will prove useful in the future b/c I love having chickens and I still have 3 fun laying ladies. Perhaps we'll get some more chicks next spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by