Lethargic chicken with white wet poo

sezwil47

Hatching
Oct 22, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
Help!
Since yesterday 1 of our 10 month old chickens has been ill and I am getting so confused on all the different things it could be.
Since yesterday she is very lethargic, spending ages standing still in the same place with her eyes closed. Her poo is white and almost diareah like, very wet. I have seen her drinking a little but not seen her eat. She isn't making noise and when you go to her rather than her crouching down she doesn't even flinch, just doesn't move. The other 2 girls she lives with are fine and absolutely no signs of illness. We have felt her to see if we can feel an egg in her but can't feel one.
Hope someone can help as we are all very sad and worried.
Thanks....

How old is she?  Is she laying?  Are there any other symptoms?

Sorry if this isn't how you reply, I am new to this site. She is 10 months old, they are the only symptoms we have seen, her feet, claws are ok, she isn't really doing anything at all. Not sure what other symptoms to look out for so any advice/help I really appreciate!
Thanks

Hi Ameraucanas,

Thank you for your reply.
She isn't really doing anything, an this is my first time having chickens so unsure what to look for in way of symptoms. Any help/advice you have I would really apriciate
Thanks

What color eggs does she lay? I know that it seems random, but there is a disease that I am thinking she might have that brown-egg layers are more prone to having.

Help!
Since yesterday 1 of our 10 month old chickens has been ill and I am getting so confused on all the different things it could be.
Since yesterday she is very lethargic, spending ages standing still in the same place with her eyes closed. Her poo is white and almost diareah like, very wet. I have seen her drinking a little but not seen her eat. She isn't making noise and when you go to her rather than her crouching down she doesn't even flinch, just doesn't move. The other 2 girls she lives with are fine and absolutely no signs of illness. We have felt her to see if we can feel an egg in her but can't feel one.
Hope someone can help as we are all very sad and worried.
Thanks....

She almost sounds like she could have symptoms of coccidosis, even though she should have built up some tolerance to coccida in the soil at her age. I would still be tempted to treat for that with coxoid or amprollium. If you have to get that from a vet in the UK, you may want to take some fresh droppings to test for worms and coccidia. A good wormer is Flubenvet in the UK. She may also have some internal disease such as kidney, liver, or internal laying. Many chicken illnesses cannot be diagnosed until a necropsy is done after death, unfortunately. Immediately, I would give her some water with electrolytes to prevent dehydration.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom