Lethargic chicken wont eat! Need help! Tender Breed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mydogismyfriend, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Mydogismyfriend

Mydogismyfriend New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    I have a silky hen that's about a year old who is incredibly lethargic and won't eat. I have supplemented with a vitamin B "chicken drench" in her water to give her a boost along with a little oregano oil. Unfortunately she hasn't gotten must of the booster because she hasn't been taking in much water. She was looking lethargic Friday and her crop felt empty so we brought her in to warm up and eat with no competition(she doesn't lay often so I didn't track the last time). She seemed much better Sunday was walking around and clucking and eating. Yesterday she was a little less enthusiastic but seemed her normal self. Today I noticed she wasn't eating much and I helped her get some water but she doesn't have much desire to walk around. I'm concerned because Silkies are such a delicate breed that there may not be much I can do at this point. (She was a healthy chick and lasted this long so maybe the hard winter was too rough for her? I kept her with plenty of bedding and a safely positioned heat lamp so I don't think that's it unfortunately)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If youhave poultry Nutri-Drench, just give it orally, 1-3 ml daily by mouth. It's a waste giving it in the water. Offer some scrambled egg in addition to the regular feed. Have your vet check a good sample of droppings including cecal droppings for worms and coccidia. If you need to worm the flock, use Valbazen 1/4 ml for bantams, and 1/2 ml for large fowl, then repeat in 10 days. If you suspect coccidia, then treat withCorid (amprollium) a cattle medicine.

3. Mydogismyfriend

Mydogismyfriend New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    Thank you so much! I don't think it's worms but I will definitely have it checked. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by